PDA

View Full Version : Found gecko in FL apt. HELP!

domingjm
09-17-2008, 02:32 PM
Fortunately I was planning on getting a Tokay or Crested, so I have the equipment, supplements, food, heat, etc. already. I just need to know what the hell he is so I can optimize humidity and temp. Hopefully we figure it out.
He doesn't climb glass or plastic well, but does climb upside down on my arm and up the curtains pretty quickly. And he's probably not injured because his interest in food was high.
Thanks for the help.
Jimmy

bo farum
09-19-2008, 10:04 AM
My first thought was Hemidactylus turcicus

Leviathan
01-02-2009, 06:45 AM
I think that is what it is.. we had loads of them when I lived over there.. they hang out around the lights and nail the moths:biggrin:

crestedtimm
01-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Mediterranian gecko without a doubt. They are a good hemidactylus to keep, and will eat a decent sized bug, have fun with him!

Timm

Banshee
01-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Absolutely a Mediterranean Gecko. I have them everywhere on my patio, by my front door. Probably even at least one in my house. They're great to clean up any escaped crickets from my other guys. Have fun!

Palor
01-07-2009, 12:33 AM
I love them, we have em here in Phoenix and i enjoy seeing them every summer. I know we have 1 in the house too, somewhere.

jpstodwftexas
01-07-2009, 02:42 AM
They are everywhere....thanks to the plant trade...

They are Common even here in North Texas

Spawn
01-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Hello:
I agree with everyone here. That is a baby Mediterranean Gecko (H. turcicus.) They have spread over much of the U. S.
Babies are easy to raise if fed a variety of small foods. They grow quickly and can become adult in a year. I've raised several and they are great animals.
One thing I have noticed is that they like to hide inside dark areas as opposed to hanging around on the glass of a terrarium. They will utilize cage "furniture" if offered.
All-in-all this is a great little gecko.
Have a Great Day!!!

krusty
01-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Living in Florida for 20 years, I can vouch as well that it is a H. turcicus (Mediteranean Gecko) and they are everywhere! That's a little juvenile one. Here's one I found a couple weeks ago:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/jburokas/similisscalaristrio034.jpg

miguel camacho!
01-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Krusty, it's hard to tell from that picture, but that particular individual looks a little more like Hemidactylus garnotii (Indo-Pacific gecko) than Hemidactylus turcicus.

While I agree that the original juvenile gecko is H. turcicus, you have to take into consideration the fact that there are several species of Hemidactylus established throughout Florida. H. turcicius, H. garnotii, H. mabouia, H frenatus, even the similar-looking Cosymbotus platyurus. It is, after all, Florida.

krusty
01-13-2009, 07:37 PM
I compared my catch to this online photo:

http://www.oeko-msc.de/Hemidactylus-turcicus_2.JPG

They look the same to me. Do you think the above link is mislabeled and should be a H. garnotii?

Emilylovesherps
01-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Hey guys- I've IDed these many times for people in FL. They arent Mediterraneans. They're def IndoPacifics. I live in West Palm, and they are absolutely everywhere-even inside exhibits! The babies are teeny, so they have even gotten into exhibits with practically impenetrable airlocks, lol.

JMac
01-15-2009, 09:51 PM
That's a cool little gecko...
I have some friends that I stay with sometimes in Alabama on the coast that have some cool color changing geckos that live around their house..

lepord man
01-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Fortunately I was planning on getting a Tokay or Crested, so I have the equipment, supplements, food, heat, etc. already. I just need to know what the hell he is so I can optimize humidity and temp. Hopefully we figure it out.
He doesn't climb glass or plastic well, but does climb upside down on my arm and up the curtains pretty quickly. And he's probably not injured because his interest in food was high.
Thanks for the help.
Jimmy

it might be a house gecko