PDA

View Full Version : Help Please! Can I feed him a worm?

geckomom2008
09-25-2008, 11:56 PM
:?I cannot make it to the petstore and I know Lucky is very hungry:-x. Does anyone here know if feeding him an earthworm from outside could hurt? Obviously the worm is subject to whatever is in the outside soil, but ... ??
Thanks!!

jabberwock486
09-25-2008, 11:59 PM
well it really depends what kind of gecko you are talking. it is honestly best not to feed insects from out doors. if you live in an area that treats the lawns then you really should not use the earth worms. also i don't know what, if anything, a worm may carry. i know wild crickets can carry all kinds of junk.

leopard geckos can go a while without food. however i would stock up on crickets or roaches at next chance.

geckomom2008
09-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks so much! But, how long is "a while"? It is a leopard gecko by the way, although I've also heard it called an African Fat Tail gecko... He has plenty of water and his substrate is calcium enriched sand. I will be able to make it to the petstore tomorrow afternoon, finally. It has been about a week since his last 5-6 meal worms. A couple days ago I gave him 2 from the container. They were dead but still plump. I also want to state that I have always taken excellent care of Lucky, I've been sick and unable to get to the petstore, that's why I'm out of worms for so long.

cliff_f
09-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks so much! But, how long is "a while"? It is a leopard gecko by the way, although I've also heard it called an African Fat Tail gecko... He has plenty of water and his substrate is calcium enriched sand. I will be able to make it to the petstore tomorrow afternoon, finally. It has been about a week since his last 5-6 meal worms. A couple days ago I gave him 2 from the container. They were dead but still plump. I also want to state that I have always taken excellent care of Lucky, I've been sick and unable to get to the petstore, that's why I'm out of worms for so long.

Just a little FYI African fat tails "Hemitheconyx caudicinctus" are a completely different species than leopard geckos "Eublepharis macularius" . If I was you I would buy a jar of that leopard gecko diet just to have on hand for times like this.

geckomom2008
09-26-2008, 01:16 AM
I wish I had a digital camara! I see pics of Leopard Geckos and it looks exactly like my Lucky, but he has a fat tail! The fat tail was possibly explained by a book that perhaps he lost it at an earlier age and when they grow back they grow "fat". I'll look into more pictures based on the classification names you've given me "Hemitheconyx caudicinctus" and "Eublepharis macularius". Either way I will check out the "leopard gecko diet" you mentioned. I assume at this point that it's a supplement of some sort. Thank you for everything!

geckomom2008
09-26-2008, 01:35 AM
I looked into the classification names you gave and Lucky is definitely at Leopard Gecko who once at least lost his tail. Truthfully "he" may actually be a "she". I wonder if I could charge a breeding fee :idea: ... just a thought! Anyway ... It seems you are quite experience with these beautiful creatures ... I cannot get him/her to eat superworms or crickets!!

For the past 2 years, that I know of, Lucky was the classroom pet of my child's 4th and 5th grade class. I took on the responsibility of Lucky at the begining of 4th grade and followed through into 5th grade. The teacher retired last year and gave Lucky to me (us) because he saw how much I cared and was always there for whatever Lucky needed. Even if it was out of my own pocket and not reimbursed. So, now, Lucky is mine (ours). But, in the last 2 1/2 years we've never been able to get Lucky to eat ANYTHING besides meal worms. By anything I mean we've tried crickets, but he seems to have no idea what to do with them. The class room once tried the crickets for a week or so and he never ate a single one!!

Is a diet of ONLY meal worms healthy?? Should I continuously try to introduce crickets or other insects? We've also tried superworms and he wants nothing to do with those! So far the only thing that works is the small to medium length meal worms. He seems ok with that, but I really want him to live as long as possible! I love all animals and taking care of him, I've developed quite a love for Lucky! Any suggestions on how to get him to eat more, for health and longivity, is greatly appreciated!!:cheer:

Thank you!

cliff_f
09-26-2008, 10:13 PM
I wouldnt feed any of my geckos a diet of just meal worms. If your leo is healthy what I would do is just start offering a couple crickets every other day. If it dosnt eat them in a few hours take them back out. Eventually he/she is going to get hungry and eat them. I only feed mine 3-4 adult crickets every other day. A feeding schedule like that will help keep a good feeding responce and your gecko wont get fat and lazy. All my geckos will eat the crickets as fast as I throw them in there and all my geckos are nice and healthy. I also added a picture of my male leo so you can see. Leos/geckos dont need 15 crickets/mealworms every day. Really people just over do it when they feed their animals every day IMO. When I first get a new gecko if they dont start eating right away I only offer them about 1 cricket every third day untill they start getting a good feeding responce for me. But that is just my two cents.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/cliff_f/Leopard%20geckos/IMG_2610.jpg

Airedale
09-27-2008, 02:22 PM
I know that just by our name (geckomom) that you would hate to have these, but try some roaches. My leos love them. I just got some B. Lateralis, and the chase them like heat seeking missiles. The roaches move really fast, and it is a really interesting thing to watch. The leos love them! I might be able to send you like 5 or so just for you to try. Just an idea.