PDA

View Full Version : New Masobe...

Riverside Reptiles
09-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Got a small group of these guys sent over from HAMM. True cbb Masobe :biggrin: Can't wait to start producing some myself. Sorry for just having the one pic. But I really didn't want to stress them after such a long trip. This girl just happened to be out and about last night, so I snapped a quick pic of her to share. More to come later once they get settled in. Pics don't even come close to doing these guys justice as to how cool they really are in person.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/111/pic0004xy2.jpg

DDReptiles
09-28-2008, 12:36 AM
Nice Ethan, they are incredible geckos for sure :)

PassPort
09-28-2008, 01:06 AM
you are very lucky to have these! it'll be good to see CB babies available in the states soon.

Sourri
09-28-2008, 05:04 AM
Beautiful gecko have fun with them!! :D

mat.si
09-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Pics don't even come close to doing these guys justice as to how cool they really are in person.

....and
The masobe have to be the COOLEST gecko I have seen in awhile. (Sorry to borrow your statement, Derek. ;-) :biggrin:)

That's what I want to hear more often. :D :cheer:

Matjaz

DDReptiles
09-28-2008, 09:58 AM
....and (Sorry to borrow your statement, Derek. ;-) :biggrin:)

That's what I want to hear more often. :D :cheer:

Matjaz

Haha :lol:

Ethan- is that perlite down in the soil?

Graham_s
09-28-2008, 11:11 AM
great to see these geckos getting more widespread around the world. I believe I saw some of the siblings of these, and they truly are amazing. :biggrin:

Riverside Reptiles
09-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I think we all as a community need to thank Matjaz for his efforts not just in captive breeding these guys, but in helping to get them to the US. It's only through his hard work that we have the privilege of working with such high quality animals and the potential to establish these wonderful animals here in the States.

@ Derek...yep, it's perlite. I add a little to the peat just to help retain moisture and keep the peat from getting too packed together. I do the same in my Felinus enclosures. Other than the perlite, it's pure peat for substrate.

mat.si
09-28-2008, 09:23 PM
:blushing:

DDReptiles
09-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I think we all as a community need to thank Matjaz for his efforts not just in captive breeding these guys, but in helping to get them to the US. It's only through his hard work that we have the privilege of working with such high quality animals and the potential to establish these wonderful animals here in the States.

I agree :cheer:

@ Derek...yep, it's perlite. I add a little to the peat just to help retain moisture and keep the peat from getting too packed together. I do the same in my Felinus enclosures. Other than the perlite, it's pure peat for substrate.

I would just be worried about them ingesting it, especially geckos like these, my room humidity is around 50% and using just straight up peat moss I am able to maintain cage humidity above 70% (at the driest part of the day). Though if you don't want the peat too clump I have found coco fiber mixed in helps as it stays "fluffy" and its a little safer.

Thanks Derek

Graham_s
09-29-2008, 05:32 AM

here, here! :banana:

Bob
09-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Wow those are some crazy looking geckos. Were there quite a few of Masobes at Hamm?

Riverside Reptiles
09-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Wow those are some crazy looking geckos. Were there quite a few of Masobes at Hamm?

I didn't actually go to HAMM. I arranged the sale long ahead of time and had them picked up and shipped. As far as I know, there's only a few people anywhere in the world that are captive breeding Masobe. So there's not likely to be "quite a few" captive bred Masobe anywhere currently.

mat.si
09-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Apart from the animals I sent to the US, only one pair of my masobe stayed in Europe.
As far as I know, there was only one other CB pair sold at the expo, breed by another member of GU.

Matjaz

Bob
09-30-2008, 07:53 AM
Wow so they are pretty rare. Is Hamm were all the rare geckos are sold?

DDReptiles
09-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Is Hamm were all the rare geckos are sold?

They have a lot more variety then any US show.

PassPort
09-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Hamm is where the rare everything is sold.....

I really need to make it over there one year!

mat.si
09-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Yes, but most of the really interesting stuff is sold/reserved way before the show, and never shows up on the tables at all.

Matjaz

PassPort
09-30-2008, 02:05 PM
nope, just like at all the good shows. at this year's super show all the good stuff was spoken for months before the show. I managed to snag some pretty cool stuff at the show, but that was only because they were oddball lone animals.

oli
10-23-2008, 10:44 AM
what about using vermiculite to make the peat not float on water make it easier to hydrate? Nice geckos! So you said you were gonna send me your pair of masobe's and that crazy wheeleri for a golden gecko as promised right Derek?

Riverside Reptiles
10-24-2008, 09:59 AM
what about using vermiculite to make the peat not float on water make it easier to hydrate? Nice geckos! So you said you were gonna send me your pair of masobe's and that crazy wheeleri for a golden gecko as promised right Derek?

Oli, you're always so generous with your trade offers! :lol:

DDReptiles
10-24-2008, 12:27 PM
So you said you were gonna send me your pair of masobe's and that crazy wheeleri for a golden gecko as promised right Derek?

:crackup::rofl:

PassPort
10-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Derek,
did you get some masobe too? Amazing creatures.

DDReptiles
10-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Derek,
did you get some masobe too? Amazing creatures.

Yep, got a small group of them :) They are truely the most alien, bizarre, and coolest geckos I have, pictures just can't do them justice.

snmreptiles
10-28-2008, 11:00 PM
I had the pleasure of working with these guys for a few months a few years back and I must say I would give damn near anything to get another group of them. Unfortunately the ones I had got were more of a rescue than anything else, and didn't fair to well. BY FAR the coolest gecko I have ever worked with!

I am SOOOOOOOOOO Jealous of both of you guys!! I don't think there is an animal in my collection I wouldn't part with to get my hands on some CBB Masobe. Not to make this public, but are you guys by chance starting waiting lists. If so put me on it PLEASE!! Enjoy the hell out of them for me guys, they are beautiful!

Mike
Welcome to the home of (http://www.snmreptiles.com)

Yep, got a small group of them :) They are truely the most alien, bizarre, and coolest geckos I have, pictures just can't do them justice.

PassPort
10-28-2008, 11:42 PM
they are soooooooo other worldly looking. even with an entire dictionary on tap there's no way to adequately describe them with out swearing! f***ing awesome!

snmreptiles
10-29-2008, 01:29 AM
Here was one of ours. We snapped the pic while putting it in the tank. To successfully reproduce these guys would be a dream!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/snmreptiles/geckos/DSC06185.jpg

Mike
Welcome to the home of (http://www.snmreptiles.com)

mat.si
10-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Captive bred animals are not that hard to reproduce at all. It just takes time and patience and of course you have to know what you are doing.
Once more serious breeders like Ethan and Derek have CB groups, it's just a question of time for the captive bred population of masobe to slowly expand.

Matjaz

rhacoboy
11-03-2008, 10:08 PM
beautiful animals!!! I wish i had the money for them. How much do they go for, CBB?? Hopefully by the time i have the funds for them they'll be more commonly available.

RFB2
11-06-2008, 01:43 PM
I love mine. I can not wait to have them breed. They hate me though. They are sick of me staring at them through the cage.:lol: I have only had them for a few weeks hopefully they will lose some of the shyness. I have you and Jon to thank for this experience Mat.si

mat.si
11-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Oh, so you also have some of my masobe. Good to know. :)

Regards, Matjaz

RFB2
11-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Oh, so you also have some of my masobe. Good to know. :)

Regards, Matjaz

Yep, They are great.

ajrocks777
11-07-2008, 05:50 PM
beautiful animals!!! I wish i had the money for them. How much do they go for, CBB?? Hopefully by the time i have the funds for them they'll be more commonly available.

tell me if im wrong but i think about 1600$ for a pair