PDA

View Full Version : Picta Gender

FaX
10-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Hello people!
I wanted to ask you once what you from the gender this Picta hold?
greetz

rcobourn
10-08-2008, 10:57 AM
If it's old enough to sex, I'd say female. The hemipenal bulges are much more pronounced on a mature male. The picture is too dark for me to be sure, but I also don't see any sign of preanal pores.

She looks small to me, but it is hard to be sure. If you are thinking about breeding her, make sure to wait until the tail grows back and gets some fat to it.

FaX
10-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Hey!
thx for your answer!
yes its old enough of course. and its the same way im thinking of "her".
small hemipenal bulges is correkt. if i have a look at my 5month old male picta there is a big difference

yes she is small, but the vet has no idea what. at the moment she gets
bioserin to get her bettter.

greetz

rcobourn
10-08-2008, 05:38 PM
She is probably putting a lot of what would otherwise go into growth into regrowing that tail. As long as she is eating well, don't worry about it. If she is a sluggish eater, try wax worms. I know folks say to only use them as a treat, but I think they are great for tail loss... all that fat really seems to accelerate tail regrowth.

FaX
10-09-2008, 04:41 AM
Is there somebody with an other opinion as female?

rcobourn
10-09-2008, 05:22 PM
If you can get a picture in better light/focus, such that it would be possible to see the preanal pores, it would be helpful. I don't think there is anything in the provided picture that could lead anyone to think male. The slight swelling in the hemipenal area is normal in female pictus. I've had a "male" drop a dud egg before, won't make that mistake again. :)

FaX
10-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Hello again!
sry i was on holiday in tunisia ;)
thx for your answer. i dont have another picture of "her". i will take one
in a few days. but i cant see praeanal pores by myself.
a few weeks before somebody told my that another one of my picta girls
should be male. i cannot belive that because shes looking like this picture too.
i will attach one of her too.
thx

ps. sry for my english - its not so good as it should ;)

rcobourn
10-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Looks female to me too. I think if you aren't familiar with pictus it is easy to get fooled because there appear to be bulges. They are just much smaller than you'd see in a male. Again I see no dark pits in the pores.