PDA

View Full Version : Gecko Books??

Dyesub Dave
10-16-2008, 07:12 PM
I was just wondering if anybody could suggest a really good book that covers many gecko species. I guess kind of like a gecko encyclopedia that has information on geckos in general as well as pictures and husbandry of many different types of geckos.

I quite often see gecko species specific book but haven't seen a GECKO ATLAS or anything like that.

Thanks ... Dyseub Dave. :biggrin:

RFB2
10-17-2008, 11:19 AM
I have not seen many. There was one written back in the 90's, but it is way out dated by now. I find the best accurate information comes from the species specific books. I know that they can get expensive, but I feel that those books are well worth it in the end.

Rob

clint545
10-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Like Rob said, sometimes better to look for species specific books.

There's Geckos By F.W.Henkel & W.Schmidt. It has all species listed, tons of photos, but just quick overalls of species. Still worth having IMO.

Dyesub Dave
10-17-2008, 06:57 PM
OK ... Thanks for the replies. I've seen aquarium fish, aquarium plant and general reptile & amphibian encylopedias or atlases so I just thought that there may be a really good one out there for geckos. The main reason that I'm looking is that usually I find info on the net but for some species even general care info is scarce. So I just thought that there may be something out there that covered many species in general with a few specific guidelines for certain genus's of geckos.

I'll check out that book you suggested Clint. Do you have any idea of the publishing date on that one?

Dyesub Dave. :biggrin:

RFB2
10-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Look on Amazon.com the one he is speaking of is the one I was referring to. It has a day gecko on the front of it.

Good luck,
Rob

Crandall Geckos
10-20-2008, 09:11 PM
There's Keeping and Breeding Geckos and Breeding and Keeping Geckos.

Gecko Ranch
10-22-2008, 04:32 PM
If you can find a used copy of the Henkel and Schmidt Geckos (out of print) that is a great book:

http://www.geckoranch.com/images/chi-gecko.gif

I spent a lot of time doing most of the writing for this book published by AVS in 2006:

http://www.geckoranch.com/images/geckobig.jpg

It is meant as a primer and also as a guide as to which species are good to keep in captivity according to your skill level.

I am always happy to sign a copy!

Dyesub Dave
10-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Hey that's funny .... I just saw the second book pictured in the pet store yesterday. I glanced at it but was kind of in a hurry. The title saying 'Day Geckos and Tokay Geckos ... ' made it seem a bit too specific but maybe I'll take a closer look the next time I'm there.

I'm actually surprised that there's not a Gecko Atlas or something. There are several huge volumes for aquarium fish and another for reptiles & amphibians in general .... such as the attached pic.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Dyesub Dave. :biggrin:

Gecko Ranch
10-22-2008, 06:55 PM
You are welcome Dave!

calixto08
12-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Well so many new spedies are created each year that making an atlas would be quiet hard as it would be outdated all the time. The best source of information I have found out there for gecko species and all that is related to them has been online.

dactylus
12-12-2008, 05:54 AM
I was just wondering if anybody could suggest a really good book that covers many gecko species. I guess kind of like a gecko encyclopedia that has information on geckos in general as well as pictures and husbandry of many different types of geckos.

I quite often see gecko species specific book but haven't seen a GECKO ATLAS or anything like that.

Thanks ... Dyseub Dave. :biggrin:

There are quite a few out there;
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh318/Easton6649/bookshelf.jpg
...and that's just a few, learn to read German and you've got many more.

General interest;
Geckoes, Henkel/Schmidt, Krieger publications
Breeding and keeping geckos, John Coborn, TFH publications
Keeping and breeding geckos, Hermann Seufer, TFH publications
Lizards - volume 1, Manfred Rogner, Krieger publications

....and then you can get area specific, genus specific, species specific, the list goes on.
There was an Atlas in German (Geckos der Welt) "geckos of the world".

Gecko Ranch
12-12-2008, 06:32 PM
My best advice is to collect them all. I have most of those in the last post and a lot more. There's something useful about all of them, put that together with online info and you have some good info. Keep in mind books published have been subject to some kind of editing process and the internet really doesn't. The AVS book I worked on had six editors, some from the field, some not. This process makes the material useful to the layperson and easier to read.