PDA

View Full Version : Wall mounted Heat Pad

Stezan
10-22-2008, 11:36 AM
I have recently moved to college with my Tokay. Upon discovering a policy against Heat lamps, i purchased an Exo Terra Heat Wave pad. Worried that the pad may become too hot, i placed it on the bottom of the terrarium. While it works wonders with the humidity, I haven't noticed a good increase in overall temperature. Is it safe to buy another one (or similar one) to put on the wall?

Riverside Reptiles
10-22-2008, 03:41 PM
You can put one on the wall on the outside of the glass. But I'd make sure to put it on a thermostat (or at least a cheap rheostat) so that you can make sure that it doesn't get too hot. Here's a few examples of thermostats and rheostats that would work well:
Buy Thermostats For Heat Control In Reptile, Animal & Pet Enclosures - Big Apple Pet Supply (Herpetological) (http://www.bigappleherp.com/REPTILE-SUPPLIES/Thermostats)

Gecko Ranch
10-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Heat pad are not recommended for arboreal geckos due to the risk that they may burn their feet. What are the temps in your room where you are keeping the gecko? Once we know that then you have a number of safe options, if you need.

Stezan
10-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Unfortunately the Thermometer broke off the glass wall last time i moved the tank. I will be getting a new one from my home this weekend so i can accurately measure temperature.

Oh, and the heat pad that I'm currently using is mounted outside the enclosure, so if I got a new one, it would be outside as well.

Riverside Reptiles
10-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Heat pad are not recommended for arboreal geckos due to the risk that they may burn their feet.

That's why you use a thermostat ;-)

Gecko Ranch
10-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Unfortunately the Thermometer broke off the glass wall last time i moved the tank. I will be getting a new one from my home this weekend so i can accurately measure temperature.

Oh, and the heat pad that I'm currently using is mounted outside the enclosure, so if I got a new one, it would be outside as well.

It does not matter mounted inside or outside, it can still burn their feet. Let us know when you know temps.

cliff_f
10-22-2008, 07:26 PM
It would really be better if you used a heat lamp. One problem you are going to have is the heat pad is mainly going to heat that one side of the glass and not the whole tank. The tokays will probably hang out on the heat pad all the time and not move much.

pyro4fun
10-23-2008, 01:00 AM
What about a ceramic heat emitter? its not a "heat lamp" it won't provide light but it will keep the temp up but even with that i would recommend a thermostat or rheostat still.

Gecko Ranch
10-23-2008, 12:42 PM
What about a ceramic heat emitter? its not a "heat lamp" it won't provide light but it will keep the temp up but even with that i would recommend a thermostat or rheostat still.

That's what I would recommend, IF temp does need to be adjusted. Being in Washington state, you probably have already used the The Bean Farm (http://www.beanfarm.com) for something like this. They are the experts at terrarium heating. :)

Stezan
10-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Seems I found a thermastat hidden in my dorm room. As long as I keep it unknown to my roommate, I can keep the room nice and toasty all winter long

Gecko Ranch
10-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Seems I found a thermastat hidden in my dorm room. As long as I keep it unknown to my roommate, I can keep the room nice and toasty all winter long

Sweet, problem solved. :)

springtech
10-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Hahaha, makin me laugh, btw how is it hidden?

Stezan
10-24-2008, 03:59 AM
Low to the ground behind the door. More "out of the way" than hidden I guess, but I still don't see my roommate tinkering with it ever.