PDA

View Full Version : My first pictus hatchlings

rcobourn
10-25-2008, 01:34 AM
This pict from ~1 day post hatching; after a week they are up from .7 to .9 grams, eating like monsters from day one.

http://www.flarn.com/gecko/Pics/Pictus babies.jpg

Gexter
11-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Hey rcobourn! Nice hatchlings you got there! I'm currently working with 2 males and 6 females. How long are the babies? My friend told me they can fit on a penny but, I don't think so.

rcobourn
11-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Hey rcobourn! Nice hatchlings you got there! I'm currently working with 2 males and 6 females. How long are the babies? My friend told me they can fit on a penny but, I don't think so.

The first clutch were both about 2 inches; my third hatchling was closer to one inch. All three are doing great, and 2 good and 1 probably bad egg in the incubator at the moment.

Good luck!

Are you housing those 2 males together or seperate? I've heard some folks keep multiple males together okay with enough females to keep them occupied, but I haven't ventured to try it.

Gexter
11-18-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm keeping mine in a rack system with 5.5 gallon tanks. Each is in their own tank and I introduce the males to each female for about a week. I don't house them together because I've heard they fight quite a bit.

rcobourn
11-18-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm keeping mine in a rack system with 5.5 gallon tanks. Each is in their own tank and I introduce the males to each female for about a week. I don't house them together because I've heard they fight quite a bit.

I've never seen any fighting among pictus, but of course I'm keeping only one male.

Gexter
11-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Well, you never know right? Better safe than sorry lol. I can't wait for my females to start laying fertile eggs. Apparently, they can lay quite a bit in one year. I'm aware of someone who had a trio last year and he told me he got about 80 eggs out of the two females!!!! I find that incredible!!! Deffinitely the rabbits of the reptile world lol.

CavanC
11-20-2008, 10:40 PM
i love how large the heads are compared to the rest of the body when they are that little, its amazing that they dont have to drag their heads everywhere :D

Gexter
11-21-2008, 07:14 PM
So true!! They also have quite the appetite. What species of gecko is that in your picture??