PDA

View Full Version : Pictus eggs taking way way to long!!!!

cooper01
10-28-2008, 05:57 PM
I have a female pictus that was apparently housed with a male before i purchased her. After her arrival, she started laying eggs. 6 in total. They are all viable, and the first two hatched 6 weeks ago. They were at 101 days!!!!!!!!!! Thats closer to twice as long as they should, according to the info i have been able to find. Two others are at about day 55 and i can only now see vertebra and eye dots when candle lighting them. Some one please tell me that i'm getting my info from the wrong place and they are not that late. I'm sure that they are at the correct temp, 28 C. Please help.

rcobourn
10-28-2008, 06:16 PM
I have a female pictus that was apparently housed with a male before i purchased her. After her arrival, she started laying eggs. 6 in total. They are all viable, and the first two hatched 6 weeks ago. They were at 101 days!!!!!!!!!! Thats closer to twice as long as they should, according to the info i have been able to find. Two others are at about day 55 and i can only now see vertebra and eye dots when candle lighting them. Some one please tell me that i'm getting my info from the wrong place and they are not that late. I'm sure that they are at the correct temp, 28 C. Please help.

I keep mine maybe a degree hotter, but very close to that. Seem to be hatching right around 60 days from when I estimate they were layed.

Any chance your calendar is broken? :lol:

What humidity are you keeping them at? I keep mine pretty high, above 50% anyhow.

cooper01
10-28-2008, 06:20 PM
The temp ranges from 29 to 26. The humidity is always around 60 to 75. Is that to high humidity? Thanks for the question, and no my calendar is not broken!! Something is definitely going on here!!

rcobourn
10-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Just double checked, mine are at 28.7C, very stable... maybe the fluctuation is an issue. I don't think your humidity is too high. I just double checked that too and my humidity is close to 100%, although I just damped down the vermiculite a couple hours ago. I only do that when it is dry enough that there is little or no condensation on the lid (slightly ventilated) of the deli cup I keep the eggs in.

It is possible that a lack of nutrition in the mother when she bred is causing slow development. As long as they are hatching, I guess I wouldn't sweat it too much. My guess is that your next generation of offspring will hatch at more normal times because you will be providing good nutrition to the breeders.

I can't see anything you could change unless it would be to reduce the temperature fluctuation.

heiser
10-28-2008, 06:51 PM
I would double check the thermometer. They sometimes go out of calibration. From the time it is taking your eggs to hatch I would have guessed the temps were closer to 78F (25.5C). You can check it simply by putting ice in water (50-50) and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. The temp should read 0C or 32F.

If your thermometer reads 28 but is single digit it could be as low as 27.6. If it is off by one degree it could be 26.6 which gets you below 80 degrees and the hatch time starts going up quite a bit. Off by two degrees and your hatch time are pretty much expected.

BTW, long hatch times are not bad. I have found babies are bigger and stronger if allowed a longer incubation. The only time long incubation is a problem is if the species is TSD then you might skewer the sex ratio badly

Regards,
John