PDA

View Full Version : Zilla Terrarium Liner....

CavanC
11-15-2008, 09:13 PM
I have heard a lot of contradicting opinions about this stuff and i was wondering what everyone thinks about this for gecko's but in particular, golden gecko's. it seems like it would be really easy to maintain and he wouldnt get the coco husk in his mouth when he eats and when he sheds.
this is what im talking about

Zilla | Products Bedding Terrarium Liner (http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/bedding/terrarium-liner.htm)

http://www.reptilesupply.com/images/096316700635.jpg

i have heard the issues with feet and claws getting stuck but ive felt it myself and feels really smooth, almost like felt

CavanC
11-16-2008, 02:36 PM
does no one have an opinion or experiences with this stuff?

BlakeDeffenbaugh
11-16-2008, 08:03 PM
You wont be able to keep your humidity up as well with that.

CavanC
11-17-2008, 12:58 AM
but thats the thing as well, ive noticed that when i first put my coco husk in, it was alwys moist but now its all dried up is it because i need to replace it or just get it good and wet again? and the humidity issue aside is this going to be okay for him to live on??

cliff_f
11-17-2008, 10:12 AM
I dont like "reptile carpet" and i would never suggest it for any animal. Even if your coco husk looks dry there is still more moisture in there than you realize. You don't want to make it wet every time you mist then you are just going to make a place for mold and fungus to grow.

audio
11-17-2008, 05:02 PM
it's not really supposed to stay wet, in fact thats probably a bad thing is it stays wet cause of bacteria build up

i don't think screen cages are a good idea unless you live in florida or somewhere with high humidity as is. then you'd just be misting for water drinking

CavanC
11-17-2008, 09:44 PM
screen cages?

audio
11-17-2008, 10:38 PM
ohhh, my bad, i saw "terrarium liner" and thought of this thing

Apogee Reptarium SofTray - 22 g Tall (http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=1256)

its a tray that lies on the bottom to catch waste, which is like a liner, or is a liner i guess. w/e.

MattP
11-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Anything that Zilla makes is garbage, it's a terrible company. They make products that they can sell to people; not products that are good for the animals. Don't buy it.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
11-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Anything that Zilla makes is garbage, it's a terrible company. They make products that they can sell to people; not products that are good for the animals. Don't buy it.

I hear their cages like Exo makes are crap. . the latch brakes on them and you cant get the door open and stuff like that.

CavanC
11-17-2008, 11:32 PM
thats why exo terra winnnnssss. so the general consensus is, yes its easy to maintain but it doesnt keep humidity and it gets moldy? for real? does anyone actually have EXPERIENCE with this? or is this just all what people say

BlakeDeffenbaugh
11-18-2008, 12:25 PM
I dont use it because its not good. Does not hold in humidity and with goldens you need it. Its ugly and just takes away from the cage and animal. Crickets will end up eating it. Theres just a big list of reasons why not to use it. Stick with the coco fiber, spray once a day or so and it will be fine.

ljcsov
11-18-2008, 05:52 PM
I'm thinking that for any gecko that needs high humidity and moisture that stuff isnt going to do you much good. the stuff that looks like dirt (not sure of the official name) looks like a pretty good bet. the liner is good for something like a leopard gecko who likes a plain flat surface that cant be ingested. I use that stuff for my leopard gecko and he likes it plenty

CavanC
11-18-2008, 11:05 PM
k thanks guys i was just looking for a general consensus because of all the contradicting things i had heard about it

springtech
11-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Maybe you guys should try it before you say a bunch of assumptions lol. I have that product and it holds moisture very well so not sure what people are talking about. Its good for what it is. Its easy to clean doesnt tear apart like real carpet so its safer (dont use for large clawed herps though just in case). It doesnt even look bad. I use it for young herps or anytime trying to heal an injury and dont want substrate in it etc.
Right now the only piece Im using is under a cornsnakes aspen to buffer the heat when he burrows.
Good luck

CavanC
11-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Thats one of the reasons why i was considering it because i am having trouble keeping the humidity high enough without having to mist many times (which causes the growth of mold) and i also do not need the added work of adding real plants so i was wondering if i could use that no only for the ease of cleaning and simple look,but also to see if it could be another way of keeping the humidity high in my viv

MattP
11-20-2008, 01:50 AM
If you want to keep high humidity in your enclosure you should get these products. Repti-fogger and Hygrotherm. Best money I ever spent......... it works great for my dart frogs.

Click this
Search Results: Products (http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/Search.php?SearchID=1&DatabaseID=2&Keyword=Water%20Accessories/Filters&ProductCategory=Water%20Accessories&Heading=Terrarium&Search.x=0&Search.y=0)

cliff_f
11-20-2008, 09:47 AM
If you want to keep high humidity in your enclosure you should get these products. Repti-fogger and Hygrotherm. Best money I ever spent......... it works great for my dart frogs.

Click this
Search Results: Products (http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/Search.php?SearchID=1&DatabaseID=2&Keyword=Water%20Accessories/Filters&ProductCategory=Water%20Accessories&Heading=Terrarium&Search.x=0&Search.y=0)

They do keep the humidity up and like you said you use them for dart frogs. He has a golden gecko he does not need 100% humidity all the time. I would stay away from those foggers personally they are more trouble than what they are worth, I used one long time ago and threw it away.

All they need is a good misting once or twice a day, I dont see why people are making this so hard. If the humidity drops down it will not kill your gecko. The best way to tell if you are keeping proper humidity is wait for the geckos first shed. If he sheds just fine then you are keeping the humidity right.

MattP
11-20-2008, 11:59 AM
This is different than the old foggers. This one goes outside the tank. Then you hook it up to the Hygrotherm and you can program the humidity you want your tank to stay at. The fogger comes on and off as needed. You can also plug in a heating device and use it as a thermostat as well. It works great!

audio
11-20-2008, 01:10 PM
thats why exo terra winnnnssss. so the general consensus is, yes its easy to maintain but it doesnt keep humidity and it gets moldy? for real? does anyone actually have EXPERIENCE with this? or is this just all what people say

they win, except for those uvb bulbs that kill reptiles

CavanC
11-20-2008, 02:37 PM
i was talking about the terrariums, not the lights...

audio
11-20-2008, 04:03 PM
whats with the ellipses, dont be offended

CavanC
11-20-2008, 10:01 PM
i was hoping i wasnt going to have to be lol thanks for clearing that up haha :D