PDA

View Full Version : night observation of nocturnal geckos

dfourer
11-18-2008, 08:06 AM
I want to observe my Tokay (Gekko gecko) and possibly(???) skunk (Gekko vittatus) at night. I've read here and in other places that red light doesn't bother them or they don't see it. Any expert advice out there?

As for identifying the second gecko, I'm trying to get a good photo and post it.

gbhil
11-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Some red lights will annoy them, others won't. I can tell you with 100% certainty that they can see red wavelengths, regardless of what the package on the nocturnal lamps say.

I have good results using a D cell maglight, after covering the lens with red tail light fixit tape from the auto parts store.

dfourer
11-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Gbhil,
Do you think the different response to red and while light has to do with the difference between sunlight and moonlight? I've been wondering how much light these animals need to be effective hunters at night. Also how do I recreate that environment in a vivarium. And also my original question, can I observe their night behavior?

lampeye
11-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Looking at what's going on in a completely different hobby, low-wattage LEDs are very popular with keepers of reef aquaria. "Moonlight" fixtures can be fairly reasonable in price if you go for one of the small models.

dfourer
11-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Looking at what's going on in a completely different hobby, low-wattage LEDs are very popular with keepers of reef aquaria. "Moonlight" fixtures can be fairly reasonable in price if you go for one of the small models.This is getting interesting. I have a yellow LED night light I bought for a dollar at a hardware store. If I get some good observations, I'll post about it.

Gecko Ranch
11-21-2008, 02:16 PM
I just observe the "night time crew" the old fashioned way - I take a flashlight and run around the Gecko Ranch at night. Just don't shine it directly in their eyes and they are more likely to stay out while you observe. A diffused light setting works best.

lampeye
11-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Hey, a bit OT, but - What the heck happened to your site, Julie? :D It was linking to some car club earlier....

Gecko Ranch
11-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Hey, a bit OT, but - What the heck happened to your site, Julie? :D It was linking to some car club earlier....

That was pretty funny - my host server was having some DNS problems, they should work themselves out through the next day or so. :lol:

gbhil
11-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Gbhil,
Do you think the different response to red and while light has to do with the difference between sunlight and moonlight? I've been wondering how much light these animals need to be effective hunters at night. Also how do I recreate that environment in a vivarium. And also my original question, can I observe their night behavior?

Red light, blue light, white light, I don't think it matters much. IMO it's the intensity of the light not the spectrum.

Observing their behavior at night is easy.
Get a flashlight, and red cellophane or tape (or blue or green, just something to diffuse it pretty well) and peek in the enclosure. Keep it out of their eyes and they won't mind too much.

dfourer
11-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Well, I don't know about the spectrum, but I set up this little one-bulb LED "night light", which is not very bright, and is orange (probably a single wavelength). It is on 24 hours.

This vivarium is in my bedroom, on the dresser. Last night I could work at my computer with the lights off, or in bed and not sleeping, and watch. I saw the totally nocturnal young Tokay gecko walking all around the vivarium over several hours. I love it. So far, it's a big success.