PDA

View Full Version : APA's narrow-minded view on HAMM

Graham_s
11-20-2008, 04:24 PM
just watch the videos...

YouTube - A Far Cry from Nature - Part 1 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tLAJR_dlL28)

YouTube - A Far Cry from Nature - Part 2 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CNuO5KfBGmk)

clint545
11-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Very one sided and facts twisted to serve the negative view. I find it funny that there were no "interviews"with any vendors or customers, but rather a narritive that was very one-sided. They made it seem like every Reptile there was going to be dead with in a matter of days.

Graham_s
11-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Very one sided and facts twisted to serve the negative view. I find it funny that there were no "interviews"with any vendors or customers, but rather a narritive that was very one-sided. They made it seem like every Reptile there was going to be dead with in a matter of days.

my thoughts entirely. Also, notice how they only filmed the tiny minority of animals that were scratching at the sides. There are some stupid lines in that video though. Things like "90% of reptiles in europe are wild caught" and also that "reptile shows in the UK are banned"... no they aren't... there was one on in my town just a couple of weeks ago...

DDReptiles
11-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Load of BS

clint545
11-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Load of BS

Yup. Wondering if anyone has seen the oldie of a movie gem, "Reefer Madness".? Along the same lines as far as media and one sided views:)

Graham_s
11-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Yup. Wondering if anyone has seen the oldie of a movie gem, "Reefer Madness".? Along the same lines as far as media and one sided views:)

not seen it but this sort of narrow-mindedness seems to be the same the world over.

PassPort
11-23-2008, 02:34 PM
REEFER MADNESS!!!!! Turning respectable business men into low life scum.......... lol! I love that movie!

As with most things the video is filled with half truths and exaggerated lies. I agree that the shows aren't the best experience for the herps involved, but it gets them into hopefully good homes. You never hear anybody complain about how cruel shelters are because the dogs and cats are caged in small enclosures. No, they say, "well, it's just short term sna it helps them find permanent homes." Same thing, people are just idiots.

I do completely agree, however, with their comments on the wild caught animals. I believe that while wild collecting is necessary, mass collecting as it is now is disgusting. Taking fresh imports to show is a big personal no no as well. I think shows should be limited to captive bred and ltc/well established imports, mainly for the disease factor.

-Kevin

Graham_s
11-23-2008, 07:29 PM
REEFER MADNESS!!!!! Turning respectable business men into low life scum.......... lol! I love that movie!

As with most things the video is filled with half truths and exaggerated lies. I agree that the shows aren't the best experience for the herps involved, but it gets them into hopefully good homes. You never hear anybody complain about how cruel shelters are because the dogs and cats are caged in small enclosures. No, they say, "well, it's just short term sna it helps them find permanent homes." Same thing, people are just idiots.

I do completely agree, however, with their comments on the wild caught animals. I believe that while wild collecting is necessary, mass collecting as it is now is disgusting. Taking fresh imports to show is a big personal no no as well. I think shows should be limited to captive bred and ltc/well established imports, mainly for the disease factor.

-Kevin

I agree completely

tanala
12-01-2008, 01:28 PM
"Reptiles cannot cry for themselves, so we have to do it"
This is very good propaganda. Everyone who has no special interest/knowledge in herps seeing this must believe everything they say. Unfortunately, in some points they are right. That handling/ taking out of animals SUCKS. And have you ever thought about what destiny all those leopard geckos, corn snakes, ball pythons will have? I mean they are selling hundreds of them every show, three times a year. Do all buyers expand their collection, or are there masses of new keepers at every show? Maybe, but i fear that many people just go there to replace animals they lost due to whatever.
Limitation of such shows to c.b and ltc doesn't function, as reality shows. December show is a c.b. show meaning no fresh w.c. are allowed - they are selling adult Teratoscincus spp., Agama spp., Draco spp. and Rhampholeon spp. labeled as c.b. for very cheap prices anyway. How can this be controlled/avoided?

Sgvreptiles
12-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Peta!!!!

Graham_s
12-02-2008, 05:13 AM
"Reptiles cannot cry for themselves, so we have to do it"
This is very good propaganda. Everyone who has no special interest/knowledge in herps seeing this must believe everything they say. Unfortunately, in some points they are right. That handling/ taking out of animals SUCKS. And have you ever thought about what destiny all those leopard geckos, corn snakes, ball pythons will have? I mean they are selling hundreds of them every show, three times a year. Do all buyers expand their collection, or are there masses of new keepers at every show? Maybe, but i fear that many people just go there to replace animals they lost due to whatever.
Limitation of such shows to c.b and ltc doesn't function, as reality shows. December show is a c.b. show meaning no fresh w.c. are allowed - they are selling adult Teratoscincus spp., Agama spp., Draco spp. and Rhampholeon spp. labeled as c.b. for very cheap prices anyway. How can this be controlled/avoided?

You have some very valid points.

DDReptiles
12-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Its the same in the US, all these reputable shows, say they only allow CB animals to be sold. Yet you get companies like Reptile Depot, LLLReptile, Glades Herp, etc. bringing numerous species that you know are WC and yet while beating around the bush try and pass them off as CB. An examaple would by L. williamsi when they were only being imported.

The problem is these are the companies that buy numerous tables at these shows, heavily advertise the show through their site, and buy advertising in show pamplets, etc. Therefore you know the people running the show are not going to be too critical of what is put on the table, in fear of loosing their buisness, and the people who come to the show because of them being there.

Thanks Derek