PDA

View Full Version : Sick Leopard Gecko

gecko2008
12-03-2008, 04:03 PM
My young gecko is listless and not eating. Second one we have had. the first one died. Had a black spot in belly as examined by store clerk. Now this one seems to have similar behavior. I tried to look at belly but not sure what to look for. Gave it sugar water. What can I do?

acpart
12-03-2008, 06:01 PM
The best thing to do is to take it to a vet. Many geckos that come from pet stores are not in good shape because of the way they are shipped, the age they are when shipped, the crowding and the way they're kept at the pet store. There are some diseases that are contagious and if you have one gecko die and then put a new one in the same cage without disinfecting it a certain way, it will catch that disease. I don't know if this gecko will make it or not, since I'm not a vet and don't have much information. The first thing to do is to read some care sheets to make sure you are caring for it properly (sometimes what the pet store says to do isn't the right thing). My care sheet is here: Geckcessories (http://geckcessories.wordpress.com)

If you're doing everything right, and you got both these geckos from the same pet store, you have to ask yourself if the geckos in the pet store are in survivable condition. If you still want a gecko, it's adviseable to buy directly from a breeder.

I hope it recovers (the black spot on the underside is the liver and it may be normal, or enlarging if the gecko isn't getting proper nutrition and is run down to begin with).

Aliza