PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about williamsii eggs .

jpg
12-30-2008, 05:50 PM
My girl just laid a fresh set in the top corner of here exo . I was looking closly at them and they are dented . Is this bad ? I seem to remeber from yesars ago when I was breeding that if they dented or molded they are no good right ? I have four sets of eggs the oldest being laid in september still havent hatched . You think they are infertile and the pair isnt compatible .

Sgvreptiles
12-31-2008, 01:39 AM
Ive had some dented eggs hatch out fine. Might have been when they were still soft that the female put to much pressure and dented them.

Best way to see if there fertile is a flash light too see if there pink/red=good, yellow=no good. I have a clutch that 1 egg is red one is yellow.

Are your oldest eggs in situe still? If they are it can take a long time for them to hatch due to fluctuating temps. I have had 2 clutches laid on leaflets of sanseveria and i cut them and stuck them in the incubater at 83F and hatched out in about 2 months.

Thanks
Jeff

jpg
12-31-2008, 06:48 AM
Ya all the eggs temps fluctuate I figured it would take awhile for them to hatch .I cant flashlight the eggs in the bamboo (6) but ill give it a try with the ones laid in the enclosure :)

heiser
12-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi jpg

Here's a little trick I use with egg gluers that will use bamboo. Cut a piece of newspaper to fit the length of bamboo opening. Roll it into a tube an stick it in the bamboo as a liner. Make sure you cut it so it ends about 1/4" from the bamboo opening. Then when the eggs are laid you can remove th epaper and cut bit with eggs off and place in an incubator. This has worked very well for me with williamsi.

Regards,
John

RFB2
12-31-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi jpg

Here's a little trick I use with egg gluers that will use bamboo. Cut a piece of newspaper to fit the length of bamboo opening. Roll it into a tube an stick it in the bamboo as a liner. Make sure you cut it so it ends about 1/4" from the bamboo opening. Then when the eggs are laid you can remove th epaper and cut bit with eggs off and place in an incubator. This has worked very well for me with williamsi.

Regards,
John

That is a great Idea John.

jpg
12-31-2008, 09:19 PM
John I acctually did that with all my bamboo tube and she still laid them under the paper on the bamboo . The paper warped and curled a little Im assuming from moisture . Im going to try construction paper next time around .

heiser
01-04-2009, 12:03 PM
John I acctually did that with all my bamboo tube and she still laid them under the paper on the bamboo . The paper warped and curled a little Im assuming from moisture . Im going to try construction paper next time around .

Lol, yeah, they can be smart little buggers. I found that one layer of newspaper worked best. If I rolled too many layers it would do like you said, kinda uncoil with humidity. I also change it with every egg laying so usually it's not in the bamboo long. They are prolific.

Regards,
John

jpg
01-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Ya they are . Are you going to the expo the 25th ?

Dyesub Dave
01-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Just a note on yellow eggs. I don't have experience with williamsii however my Gekko vittatus laid a pair of eggs that were yellow for weeks. I had assumed that they were no good however after about 3-4 weeks I noticed that their colour had turned to pink. I also have a pair of Phelsuma laticauda eggs. I only have the female but know that she was previously bred before I got her. Now these eggs also look yellow and could be infertile however once again I will leave them alone and check them on occasion in case they also turn pink.

I'm not sure why this occurs as other eggs that I have had from the pair of vittatus and from my crested geckos are pink right away. Perhaps some just take a bit longer to develop. So I guess like the rule goes ... 'Never throw out an egg until you're sure it's NO GOOD'

Another friend of mine had some snake eggs that grew all moldy and dented and I believe that he flushed most of them. For some reason he kept one or there is one that he missed and he ended up getting a beautiful little snake from it. Of course he's kicking himself now for getting rid of the other eggs. :roll:

Just something to think about.

Dyesub Dave. :biggrin:

heiser
01-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Ya they are . Are you going to the expo the 25th ?

Yes. I will be there. Stop by and say hi. As always, I will be at the table next to the Long Island Herp Society.

John