PDA

View Full Version : 51 new geckos species in 2008!

gymnodactylus
01-11-2009, 12:25 PM
2008 was a great year for describing geckos. 51 new species of gecko were described last year in every family except Pygopodidae! Cool stuff!
Please let me know if I missed any.

Carphodactylidae
Phyllurus kabikabi - Couper Hamley & Hoskin
Saltuarius kateae - Couper Sadlier Shea & Wilmer
Saltuarius moritzi - Couper Sadlier Shea & Wilmer

Diplodactylidae
Bavayia goroensis - Bauer Jackman Sadlier Shea & Whitaker
Diplodactylus capensis - Doughty Oliver & Adams
Lucasium bungabinna - Doughty & Hutchinson
Oedura jowalbinna - Hoskin & Higgie

Eublepharidae
Goniurosaurus catbaensis - Ziegler Truong Schmitz Stenke & Rosler
Goniurosaurus huuliensis - Orlov Ryabov Tao Truong & Cuc

Gekkonidae
Cnemaspis bayuensis - Grismer Grismer Wood & Onn
Cnemaspis biocellata - Grismer, Onn, Nasir & Sumontha
Cnemaspis flavigaster - Onn & Grismer
Cnemaspis karsticola - Grismer Grismer Wood & Onn
Cnemaspis mcguirei - Grismer Grismer Wood & Onn
Cnemaspis perhentianensis - Grismer & Onn
Cyrtodactylus batucolus - Grismer Onn Grismer Wood & Belabut
Cyrtodactylus eisenmani - Tri
Cyrtodactylus epiroticus - Kraus
Cyrtodactylus grismeri - Tri
Cyrtodactylus hontreensis - Tri Grsimer & Grismer
Cyrtodactylus huynhi - Ngo & Bauer
Cyrtodactylus jarakensis - Grismer Onn Grismer Wood & Belabut
Cyrtodactylus klugei - Kraus
Cyrtodactylus macrotuberculatus - Grismer & Ahmad
Cyrtodactylus pantiensis - Grismer Onn Grismer Wood & Belabut
Cyrtodactylus robustus - Kraus
Cyrtodactylus stresemanni - Rosler & Glaw
Cyrtodactylus takouensis - Ngo & Bauer
Cyrtodactylus tripartitus - Kraus
Cyrtodactylus wallacei - Hayden Brown Gillespie Setiadi Linkem Iskandar Umilaela Bickford Riyanto Mumpuni & Mcguire
Cyrtodactylus ziegleri - Nazarov Orlov Sang & Cuc
Cyrtodactylus zugi - Oliver Tjaturadi Mumpuni Krey & Richards
Cyrtopodion baigii - Masroor
Gekko crombota - Brown Oliveros Siler & Diesmos
Gekko nutaphandi - Bauer Sumontha & Pauwels
Gekko shibatai - Toda, Sengoku, Hikada & Ota
Gekko vertebralis - Toda, Sengoku, Hikada & Ota
Gekko wenxianensis - Zhou Wang
Gekko shibatai - Toda Sengoku Hikida & Ota
Gekko vertebralis - Toda Sengoku Hikida & Ota
Hemidactylus aaronbaueri - Giri
Hemidactylus sataraensis - Giri & Bauer
Lepidodactylus buleli - Ineich
Luperosaurus sorok - Das Lakim Kandaung
Nactus soniae - Arnold & Bour

Phyllodactylidae
Phyllodactylus delsolari - Venegas Townsend Loch & Bohme
Phyllodactylus thompsoni - Venegas Townsend Loch & Bohme
Tarentola crombiei - Diaz & Hedges

Sphaerodactylidae
Gonatodes infernalis - Rivas & Schargel
Gonatodes superciliaris - Barrio-Amoros & Brewer-Carias
Pristurus schneideri - Rosler Kohler & Bohme

Jan Grathwohl
01-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Impressive list Tony - although you have listed two species twice ;)

Gekko crombota - Brown Oliveros Siler & Diesmos
Gekko nutaphandi - Bauer Sumontha & Pauwels
Gekko shibatai - Toda, Sengoku, Hikada & Ota
Gekko vertebralis - Toda, Sengoku, Hikada & Ota
Gekko wenxianensis - Zhou Wang
Gekko shibatai - Toda Sengoku Hikida & Ota
Gekko vertebralis - Toda Sengoku Hikida & Ota

Do you by any chance have the publications with the descriptions of the Carphodactylidae species in PDF? I would be VERY interested as always :)

gymnodactylus
01-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Jan,
Ahhh the errors of "cut and paste". I'm glad you're around to keep me honest ;-).
Can you send me your current e-mail address, the one I have keeps bouncing.
Tony

Jan Grathwohl
01-12-2009, 03:29 PM
haha - somebody have to look after your posts ;)

I send you an PM asap with my mailadress :)

Tariq Stark
01-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi Tony,

Thanks for keeping us up to date! Some of the new species I knew of, some are new to me. Can you provide me with the papers regarding the new Carphodactylidae, Diplodactylidae en Eublepharidae (and if it's not to much trouble: the one on the new Luperosaurus)? Actually, I'de like to have them all :roll: ! Thank you so much in advance!

I'll pm my e-mail adress (I know, I'm being a bit forward).

Tariq

Riverside Reptiles
01-13-2009, 01:45 PM
I wonder how much effort it would take to get permission to post the publications for all of the new descriptions here on the site? I'm sure there's many of us that would like to be able to look over that info.
As for all the new species...I'll take 1.1 of each please :)

Jan Grathwohl
01-13-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm quite sure it would be quite expensive to get that kind of permission - e.g. the species described in Zootaxa alone would cost a fortune, as this online journal in itself is quite expensive to subscribe to.

gymnodactylus
01-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Jan is right, the copyright for all of these would get quite costly.
Also, here is one I missed. Thanks to Ngo Van Tri!
Gekkonidae
Cyrtodactylus pseudoquadrivirgatus Rosler Thanh Trong Tri & Ziegler

BlakeDeffenbaugh
01-14-2009, 11:37 PM
Its cool how many gecko's discovered this year these almost like a new Draft class into the pet trade. My question is, which one's do you think would gain popularity in the Pet trade?

Considering they were JUST discovered the chances of them being in the pet trade already is slim and none.

PassPort
01-15-2009, 12:37 AM
and about half of those species could technically be considered "ground geckos"

PassPort
01-15-2009, 03:50 AM
what the hell are you talking about? terrestrial and ground mean the same thing. leos and afts are even more terrestrial than both the angulifer or the picta, considering toe structure, but all of them have the same basic climbing behavior.

PassPort
01-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Your right, sorry..Hey, But they are the only called it by one of their english name's I meant: Madagascar ground gecko (P.Pictus) and Namibian Giant Ground gecko for (C.Angulifer)...

common names mean almost absolutely nothing

Geckos and Goannas
01-15-2009, 06:44 PM
That is really cool. I hope none of them make it into the trade really. If they did it would probably be over collection because they are new species. Although I would have to admit I would probably kill for 1.1 of the Goniurosaurus huuliensis, G. catbaensis, and of course the Pristurus schneideri!

RFB2
01-15-2009, 07:51 PM
That is really cool. I hope none of them make it into the trade really. If they did it would probably be over collection because they are new species. Although I would have to admit I would probably kill for 1.1 of the Goniurosaurus huuliensis, G. catbaensis, and of course the Pristurus schneideri!

I would love to see some new species. I do hope the countries act wisely during the collection and exporting process. Look at it this way, when something new becomes popular it gives the already over collected species a break by lowering demand.

Geckos and Goannas
01-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Yeah but is it really that good for a species that we dont really know how stable it is in the wild yet? I could see some of them entering the hobby in about 5 years. And I can just keep dreaming about the Pristurus because no one is going to the middle east to collect them!

RFB2
01-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Yeah but is it really that good for a species that we dont really know how stable it is in the wild yet? I could see some of them entering the hobby in about 5 years. And I can just keep dreaming about the Pristurus because no one is going to the middle east to collect them!

Yeah, I see your point. Plus nothing gets me more frustrated then when these animals come in WC with no information on proper husbandry. It would be nice to have some publications on them before they are imported and exported.

Jan Grathwohl
01-17-2009, 04:36 AM
I think you might have heard that the number of ciliatus in captvity is larger than the numbers living in the wild - which is quite likely. This is not the same as saying that ciliatus as such is threatened in nature - just that due to its popularity and due to skilled breeders, the number in captivity is now massive.

I would actullay think that its also likely that theres more Pogona vitticeps and Eublepharis macularius in captivity than in the wild (without thereby calling these species threatened in any way in nature)