PDA

View Full Version : Very Ill Leopard Gecko, help needed!

Viti
02-25-2009, 08:41 PM
My Leo, Sebastian, fell very ill last night. I noticed that he had crawled out of his hut around 6:00 PM, which was odd to begin with, as he normally only comes out around 8:00 PM when the day lamp is turned off. I didn't think much of it, perhaps he was just wanting to look around, but when I placed a cricket in his cage, he snapped at it when it crawled by and then refused to chase it.

He hadn't eaten for a good few days beforehand, so I knew he had to be hungry. I continued to nudge him a bit, but all he did was squirm a bit and lay there. I placed a calcium-dusted mealworm next to him and left him alone for the night.

This morning, he had obviously drug himself out of his hut a bit more, ignored the mealworm, and continued to lay there. I tried to pick him up, and nudge him again, to no effect. If anything, he arched himself up (in pain, I assume), and thrashed his arms around a bit.

When I got home from school, he's worse. He's now succumbed to no movement whatsoever, except to sometimes turn his head. I tried rubbing a calcium/water mixture on his jaw, but he just turned away. I think he's moved a bit more out of the hut (I scooted him back in it a bit to avoid the lamp's light.). Now he occasionally turns his head and gives off these spasms/heavy breaths. I think he's slowly trying to make it towards the mealworm still in his cage, but he's been unable to open his mouth even slightly since he snapped at the cricket (and me, when I picked him up).

Help would be appreciated greatly. I'm trying to find a vet for him, but with no money and living in a very rural area with the closest city about an hour away, I have little hope for that. I've heard certain minerals and baby food can help. Any clue as to what could be wrong with him? Is it not enough calcium, or could he have gotten sick?

acpart
02-26-2009, 04:57 PM
It sounds as if he's going downhill very fast, unfortunately. I don't think there's much you can do on your own except to keep him warm and comfortable and to maybe put some drops of water on his nose for him to lick off so he keeps hydrated. It's even possible that if you could get him to a vet it's too late. There is no miracle cure, especially without a diagnosis. I'm hoping he will get better on his own.

Aliza

matias
02-28-2009, 07:16 AM
How old is your leo?