PDA

View Full Version : Strange Grayii

NZGecko30
03-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Hi everyone

Ive got an N.Grayii who has always left me a bit stumped, she has a few strange abnormalities which make me think she may be a product of inbreeding and sunlight intake or poor diet at birth (?)

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=78

she has a very low slung throat and is constantly licking her eyes which would almost make me think she had a problem with them since she seems to feel the need to clean them almost constantly.

she also has quite a significant dent in her back where her ribs have grown at a different angle, which of course could be attributed to poor D3 levels.

and last but not lease her tail resembles one which has regrown after autonomy, it has a very rounded end rather than the nice tapering in my other grayii, she has also stopped growing and is only 60mmSVL at 5 years old.

She is such a strange little animal (lovable none the less) and i wanted to see what some of you guys would think of what the cause could be for these very strange characteristics.

Cheers

Riverside Reptiles
03-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Strange indeed. I think that you had better send her to me for closer exam ;)

Seriously though, is she a captive born animal? Did you hatch her out? If not, how long have you had her?

NZGecko30
03-03-2009, 04:44 PM
haha sorry man but I'm really against the fact people would actually smuggle these little beauties out of the country (I'm in Nz after all) so cant help ya there =) I've had her for a few years and I've shown her to a couple of people but no one can really make much out of her

clint545
03-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Does look like some calcuim issues. Not sure if it's the angle of the picture but he back foot looks much larger than the front?

NZGecko30
03-03-2009, 08:33 PM
There's not too much difference between the sizes of the back and front feet the back are definitely a little larger.

There is no way to reverse the damage that's been done is there?

Ive never had this problem with animals that have been born in my care but I got her from a guy who is notorious for giving away his "rejects". Its a real shame that shes not 100% i mean she is healthy and happy but i wont be able to breed her for fear that dent in her back could cause damage to her or the babies and also because I'm not sure about her genetics.

Riverside; these beauts don't hatch remember? :) i got her around 3 years ago and its illegal here to take new zealand reptiles from the wild as they are listed under the Wildlife act which helps to keep the populations in the wild strong so captive bred, i think the fine for taking animals can be up to $10,000 NZD

Chris3004
03-04-2009, 02:17 AM
i think the fine for taking animals can be up to $10,000 NZD

That's a bargain for some species:crackup:

NZGecko30
03-09-2009, 08:30 PM
That's a bargain for some species:crackup:

Its still really not worth destroying the breeding success of the animals in the wild really. Ive read lately about the fact that not only are cats and other introduced horrors a menace to these beautys but some of the blame can be contributed to poaching from people wanting a "cool pet". personally i breed them for the love of herpetology and an advocacy aspect is involved in it too but even i and many other nz breeders have to say that you cant stay detached from your animals and treat them solely as a breeding programme, they do become like pets but personally they feel more like my babies

Elizabeth Freer
03-11-2009, 03:28 PM
I have heard that Metabolic Bone Disease is reversible. However, I don't think the damage already done can be reversed. Have you access to a liquid calcium supplement called Calcium Glubionate?

There's not too much difference between the sizes of the back and front feet the back are definitely a little larger.

There is no way to reverse the damage that's been done is there?

Ive never had this problem with animals that have been born in my care but I got her from a guy who is notorious for giving away his "rejects". Its a real shame that shes not 100% i mean she is healthy and happy but i wont be able to breed her for fear that dent in her back could cause damage to her or the babies and also because I'm not sure about her genetics.

Riverside; these beauts don't hatch remember? :) i got her around 3 years ago and its illegal here to take new zealand reptiles from the wild as they are listed under the Wildlife act which helps to keep the populations in the wild strong so captive bred, i think the fine for taking animals can be up to $10,000 NZD

NZGecko30
03-12-2009, 06:50 AM
I have heard that Metabolic Bone Disease is reversible. However, I don't think the damage already done can be reversed. Have you access to a liquid calcium supplement called Calcium Glubionate?

Hey Elizabeth

no there's very limited supplements here in terms of reptiles as keeping imports has only become really popular in the last few years, I'm my keeping i do occasionally use RepCal dust but that's more of a every couple months type of use and I've had no problems within animals bred in my care.

cheers

Justin
03-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Could you not import some supplements?

Elizabeth Freer
03-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Calcium Glubionate is a human-grade supplement. I can order it through one of my local pharmacies. Perhaps you could too?

However, frequent dusting with Rep Cal's Phosphorous-free Calcium should be beneficial as well.

Hey Elizabeth

no there's very limited supplements here in terms of reptiles as keeping imports has only become really popular in the last few years, I'm my keeping i do occasionally use RepCal dust but that's more of a every couple months type of use and I've had no problems within animals bred in my care.

cheers