PDA

View Full Version : Mating on the first day

lizardman123
04-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Just got my trio of L. williamsi and they are already mating. I will need some information on incubation and keeping the hatchlings. I think I might as well put them in the incubator to prevent cannibalism. This is so exciting.

cliff_f
04-07-2009, 06:50 PM
If I remember right they are gluers so you will have to leave the eggs in the cage.

lizardman123
04-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Really? I thought some people were able to peel the eggs off and put them in a incubator.

Zippy
04-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Yes, they're gluers - you won't be able to move the eggs without damaging them. I have one egg that is all up in a crevice, so I can't even figure out how to get a deli cup around it - and because of my lid, I'd have to do it one-handed!

So I'm going to hope the egg doesn't hatch before I have the new terrarium finished and can move the parents out! :) (I figure I have at least another month.) :)

Oh, and you'll probably have an egg (or two?) in about 2-3 weeks, then, from what I can find on them, it'll take about 2 months before they hatch.

lizardman123
04-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Only two eggs or is there more than that overall like can you have 2 eggs now and then 2 eggs in a month?

Dyesub Dave
04-07-2009, 07:19 PM
I don't keep this species but have heard some good ideas about getting the eggs out. I have some gold dust day geckos and may try something similar.

If you can make a removable bamboo tube in the enclosure you can just remove it and place it in an incubation container. Another method that I saw showed some cardboard curled inside of the bamboo tube and after the eggs were laid the cardboard was carefully removed and cut around the eggs which were then placed in the incubator.

That's assuming of course that the geckos lay the eggs in the tube and not somewhere else. It's good to note however that with the second method the poster noticed that the geckos got SMART and somehow laid the eggs BETWEEN the cardboard and the bamboo pole ( which was permanently fixed in this enclosure ). I would think that a few small pieces of PVC tubing attached with velcro or something may work just as well.

Good luck with the breeding and keep us posted on eggs or any good ideas for removable laying spots.

Dyesub Dave. :biggrin:

lizardman123
04-11-2009, 04:09 PM
I will probably go with putting a deli cup over it in the end. I have a few more questions about babies, I will list them:

Does it make sense to take the females out and put them in another enclosure? or the babies once they are hatched?

How many weeks will I have eggs? How many clutches will come next after this one?

Would a small enclosure like a very small exo-terra vivarium work well for babies? How big are they?

Do the gravid females need a plant to lay on?

Alright, now those are my main questions I just want to know more about the hatchlings like agression, food consumption, anything else of importances? If you can tell as much about that as possible that would be great.

I am excited about this development and I can't wait. My father even offered, due the mating, to let me get some more so we can actually have a breeding colony. I am think like another male and maybe four females? If the price is fair. If anyone has some please don't hesitate to shot me an email after you pm me, I would like to know on here before I get an email, so there are no problems about the deal or price. I would like price of the animals for a trio or 1.3/4. I will be looking on kingsnake and on here for some people who may have some. I would be very happy if someone has a cb male and wants to sell it. I would gladly take a look.

Zippy
04-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Hey lizardman,

I'm by no means an experienced owner - only had my L. williamsi for a few months, but I think I can answer a few of your questions from experience and/or things I've read.

Does it make sense to take the females out and put them in another enclosure? or the babies once they are hatched?

Moving the females out could stress them. Best to leave them be and hope they lay in a good area for you. :) The babies WILL have to be moved because they are small enough to be a snack for mama and daddy.

How many weeks will I have eggs? How many clutches will come next after this one?

The eggs incubate for something like 60-90 days. You will have them in there a LONG time. They need to have humidity, but no direct water on them. I only got one egg, and still don't know if it's viable. I'm not sure if williamsi are 2-eggers or just one, but I only got one. I'm pretty sure females can be fertilized for up to 6 months, so you may or may not get 3-4 clutches. I have not seen any more eggs since the first was laid about a month ago.

Would a small enclosure like a very small exo-terra vivarium work well for babies? How big are they?

They're going to be small. I'm thinking I'm going to get a clear plastic storage bin - one of those shoebox size. They won't be as small as a p. klemmeri baby, but very small. I'm not sure the holes in an exo-terra will be small enough, and I'd hate to lose one.

Do the gravid females need a plant to lay on?

You don't have any plants in your tank??? Do you know these guys are arboreal? (that means they like trees!) Ok, I'm going to assume you do have plants, and you mean "do they need a CERTAIN plant" .... If you're lucky, they might lay an egg on a sturdy plant. Mine didn't - she laid it way up on the side of the tank, up between the back of the lid and the side of the tank. It's glued on, so it ain't movin. You can hope she's going to lay on a plant that you can remove, but really don't count on it. You might try a piece of bamboo in there, but make sure some of it is nice and high, as she'll want to lay it high, and moderately close to the heat lamp.

And lastly....

I would like price of the animals for a trio or 1.3/4.

I've heard that you don't want to keep these guys in anything more than 1.2. I wouldn't recommend more at all. Course, again, I'm not an expert, but I think you might be asking for trouble. The females can be pretty aggressive. At the pet store, they had 2.1 (I know, dumb!), and they had to pull out one male - but they actually observed the FEMALE picking on him. My female is obviously the boss of the tank and tells the male off when he wants to mate. I am not even going to try 1.2.... I'll stick to 1.1, because I think she'll beat another female up.

Anyway, I didn't mean to write so much! Have fun and good luck.

(also, you asked some questions that had already been answered, so read back through before you ask again. LOL) :)

lizardman123
04-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Thank you so much! Really is a lot of help. I should expect eggs in 60-90 days you said or babies? Thanks for the information and sorry for the repeats I'm so tired. I may need to take one of the females out.

lizardman123
04-11-2009, 06:02 PM
I think I will soon actually I just noticed the dominant female run after her and she does look thinner than her. I noticed she grabbed some of the shed the other girl was having. Could it be she just wanted a taste?

Zippy
04-11-2009, 06:20 PM
LOL.. I understand tired .. I live tired. :)

Sorry I wasn't clear - the eggs, well, I saw my two mating, say, about mid-February, and had an egg by mid march. Who knows if she was already gravid though? They had been together at the pet store for a few weeks too... So I can't honestly say how long it took between mating and egg laying, but I'm thinking it's about a month.

The incubation of the egg is what takes 60-90 days. So from mating to hatchling, it's gonna be like 3 months, minimum.

As for the chasing and shed eating .. I think that's not a good sign. I would probably remove the one that's being picked on. I don't know for sure about the shed, but I think eating another lizard's shed is probably not good for the non-dominant one. Again, I'm no expert ... just going by what I feel there. :) Someone else here probably has a more definite answer for you than I do. :)

lizardman123
04-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Oh ok thanks. I was trying to find out that answer so I can be ready. I guess I will have to learn. I will probably need to estimate the time. This stuff can really only be discovered if you are into your second breeding season, I think. I am really excited about eggs. Just as a side note I need to add more plants in I was worried about eggs but I am going to change the enclosure around. Need to do a few things. I got some Mother-in-law tongues to use. I actually could put it close to the front to add affect. I don't know let me post a picture today. How is Easter so far guys?