PDA

View Full Version : mantid care question

naturewalk
04-15-2009, 03:00 AM
Hi all, I've always loved insects especially big beefy praying mantis. Just recently I found out that there is a wide variety of mantids available in the pet trade definitely plan on getting some. I plan on getting one of the larger species like an Asian giant or a wide arm. Most of the enclosures I've seen these guys kept in are pretty small and to be honest pretty boring. I have an extra ten gallon tank sitting around would it be a mistake to use it. I could always pick up a smaller critter keeper for cheap. Some enclosures are nothing more than just bare tanks lined with paper towels. Any way just wondering whats best. Also does anyone know the average longevity of mantids.
Thanks all.

Gastrodora
04-18-2009, 05:48 AM
Hello

You should have a critter keeper/ tank not smaller about 30x30x30cm .

The life of a mantid can be between 4/5 months ( male ) and 12/15 months ( female ).
It is also an ask of the species.

For start with mantids i can expect you a simple species :

Hierodula membranacea (Burmeister 1838)
----------------------------
Spreading: South, southwest Asia Habitat: Geäst and sheet work of bushes and trees

Size of male: approx. 7-8cm Size of female: approx. 8-9cm

Number of Häutungen males: 9 Number of Häutungen females: 10

Attitude Fodder: Crickets, grasshoppers, flies, not fit-to-fight flight insects

Terrarium size: starting from 30x 30 x 30 (BxTxH) (single attitude)

Lighting/lighting duration: 12 hours

Temperature tags/at night: Tags 20-30C°/at night not under 20°C

Air humidity tags/at night: Tags 50-60%/at night 70-80%

Mechanism: Branches/branches, sheets, plants, pieces of crust Breed

Sex-ripe males: approx. 7 days after Adulthäutung Sex-ripe females: approx. 21 days after Adulthäutung
Producing the Ootheken: 25-30C°, every 2-3 days spray (ca,60% air humidity) Raising of the larvae: Attitude with 20-30C°, 50-70% air humidity Characteristics: This kind is much likes and common.
It counts to at the simplest Mantidspecies which can be held, there it attitude errors to forgive can and it places also no high requirements, therefore them are for beginners the best suitable art.
The most frequent color variants are green and brown.
The group attitude is not recommended with this kind, since the aggression is very strongly pronounced, at least starting from the L5/L6 stage should one it separate.
Sex differences: The females are more strongly built and have a broad abdomen, which is covered exactly of the wings. The males are built and have an oblong/thin abdomen, the wings stand out rather slim over the abdomen.
-------------------
Cause of my bad english ,translatet by babbelfish

kind regards Nobbe

Tdizzle10
04-18-2009, 02:01 PM
the reason they are in small containers is because they are cannibalistic towards each other starting after a week they come out the egg case but if yur planning on just buying one mantis then its ok to use a ten gallon with sticks and all that fun stuff. but when you get the mantis make sure you have a shit load of fruit flies before you actually get it unless its big enough to handle crickets and if you want a big mantis get the Chinese mantis ( tenodera aridifolia sinensis) plus they are easy to care for if you have the food. a simple small heat lamp with a low wattage day bulb will be sufficient if the temp is cold.