PDA

View Full Version : Def. not a Giant Madagascar Day Gecko

stafishtaylz
04-25-2009, 01:35 PM
So, someone was giving away a giant madagascar day gecko. I love them, I used to take care of one at a local fish store I worked at in high school. I jumped at the chance to pick him up, set up a nice vertical planted tank with misters etc, and went to pick him up.

This is what I got. Not a day gecko at all. I'm not sure what it is. Anyone have any thoughts? It looks familiar but I can't find a picture online. If any one could id it would be great, I'd like to take care of him properly...anyone looking to trade for a nice day gecko???

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/IMG_10143.JPG
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/IMG_1013.JPG
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/IMG_10121.JPG

Palor
04-25-2009, 01:43 PM
It looks like a Vietnamese golden gecko.

stafishtaylz
04-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Ooh! Good eye. I didn't see that one online.

Thats it alright!

Thanks.

Palor
04-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Your Welcome. While they aren't a day gecko they are a fun species. You will grow attached :)

stafishtaylz
04-25-2009, 02:11 PM
I dont know about that...hes kinda giving me a creepy look...

Tdizzle10
04-25-2009, 04:00 PM
yeh thats a golden gecko all right (gekko ulikovskii) look up some care sheets on google for him/her

p.s why dont you see what you're buying before you get it?

Tdizzle10
04-25-2009, 04:01 PM
they always give you funny looks, they're crazy little buggers!

stafishtaylz
04-25-2009, 04:06 PM
yeh thats a golden gecko all right (gekko ulikovskii) look up some care sheets on google for him/her

p.s why dont you see what you're buying before you get it?

I didn't buy it. I run an animal shelter. one of the local biology teachers call me for help. They changed the rules so he couldn't keep any animals in his classroom anymore and he was desperate to get them out asap. He told me it was a day gecko and being a biology teacher I believed him. I couldn't turn it away after I told him I would help.

crestedtimm
04-25-2009, 04:32 PM
SUCH a Gekko ulikovski ( which is another way of saying all of you who said Golden are correct :biggrin:)

While they are nocturnal, and not in the genus Phelsuma, the differences pretty much stop there. I feed mine the same thing as all of my Rhacs and Phelsuma (Repashy gecko MRP) and crickets only occasionally. A light is not imperative.

When I introduced my longterm male to a friend of mine, he thought it was a Phelsuma, so I can see where one could be confused. Not green though, maybe he thought it was an abberant Grandis?

None the less, a very cool gecko. Not much on being held initially, and fast to boot, he may be a hands off pet that you will appreciate in the cage. Then again if you know how to work them... I have Grandis, Ulikovski, Marginata and Gekko gecko that I can hold, its all in how you do it.

Timmm

Tdizzle10
04-25-2009, 06:42 PM
with that gecko you should put something in the cage for him to hide from the light, and I hold my two golden geckos with out any problems

stafishtaylz
04-25-2009, 07:49 PM
He has a TON of plant life that he likes to hide under, and a half a log which he doesn't seem to care about.

I have been told hes aggressive and has bitten more people than the science teacher can count anymore. He's more of a looking at gecko, which is fine. I was expecting not to hold a day gecko anyways.

Forrest
06-13-2009, 12:27 PM
i also think there harder to come by then the grandis... least were i come from.