PDA

View Full Version : Shedding - not looking good.... :(

Zippy
05-04-2009, 10:00 AM
On Saturday, I noticed my female L. williamsi was shedding. I never saw her shed before! But she was just walking around with this hood, not caring if it was there or not. My male skritches and rubs and eats the shed - it takes him all of 10-15 mins to shed and he's done. Well she wasn't doing that. So I was kinda worried.

Sat. night she still had a lot of shed around her, same all day Sunday. Finally this a.m. (Monday) she's skritching and eating the shed, but she still doesn't look great.

Is there anything I can do for her? They're so tiny and skittish, I try not to touch them at all. Would it help to put calcium powder in there for her? I've been misting so that she has some moisture to help with the shed, but I always mist - I don't know what else I can do.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

zack
05-04-2009, 11:54 AM
my bearded dragons shed rlly slow to so i dont think you have any thing to worry about

Zippy
05-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Now the male is shedding and left a big flap of skin on his back. They shedded just perfectly in the old tank - and it would only take like 20 mins. The tank is misted regularly, if anything, the humidity is higher than in the old tank. What am I doing wrong? :(

Thanks

jpmarcel
05-05-2009, 03:07 PM
my bearded dragons shed rlly slow to so i dont think you have any thing to worry about

Bad advice for geckos! Bearded dragons shed slowly in patches as most agamids do and this is perfectly normal.

If your gecko is taking days to shed it is most likely a humidity problem or health problem and you should be concerned.

I would start with spraying your cage and then covering the top to keep the humidity above 80% for about 24hrs to 48hrs.

Jason

jpg
05-05-2009, 03:10 PM
I second what Jason says . Cover the top of the tank with plastic wrap and mist heavily till you have a solid humidity .

Zippy
05-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks guys! I'll do that! :)

Other than the funky shed, they seem to be acting ok. In fact, they've been more active during the shed than usual. I hope they're ok! I love my little guys!

Thanks for the advice.

Zippy
05-09-2009, 10:27 AM
When I last wrote, both geckos were still trying to shed. The male kept a flap on his back for like 3 days. But after I did the heavy misting and covering the tank with plastic, he finally finished his shed. It still took a while after that, but he did get back to normal.

The female had flaky skin all down her sides and on her tail for this whole week. This morning, she's even MORE flaky, as if she just started another shed! I've kept plastic wrap over the tank every night (with a few air holes) and I spray often during the day (since I have a heat lamp on them then).

Should I stress her out by taking her to the vet, or just keep going with the heavy misting/covering? It's been a whole week now that she's had flaky skin of one type or another.

Zippy
05-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Another update!

I last wrote this a.m. and the female was all flaky - now she's just about completely done with the shed, and only has the tiniest flap on her back. No more scaly flaky skin down her sides and on her tail! Woot! She's crawling around a lot more too. Definitely a good shade of green and looking normal! :)

Thanks for the advice!