PDA

View Full Version : Plants for Lygodactylus williamsi cage

lizardman123
07-01-2009, 05:15 PM
What can I put in a lygodactylus williamsi cage that will grow well? Everything I put in so far has died. I do water them quite a bit. My snake plant that was put in was the only thing that hasn't died but grown in very well.

oeamon
07-02-2009, 01:59 PM
What kind of substrate do you have in your tank? I have my lygodactylus and phelsuma in tanks with cocco fiber and bromeliads. They seem to do very well with just twice a day mistings and occasional watering.

Tim

lizardman123
07-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Plantation soil I have. The snake plants do well but the others don't they look like they are dying but they don't die.

oeamon
07-06-2009, 04:29 PM
What types of other plants do you have? The plants "look" like they're dying but don't? Are they getting too much or too little water or light? Pothos are very easy to grow over a variety of conditions. Unfortunately, they grow quickly and need to be cut back for terrariums. Pepperonia (www.tropicalplantbook.com/garden_plants/borderfoliageshadow/pepperonia--species_page.htm) are nice terrarium plants. Of course, bromeliads are popular and readily available.

Airedale
07-10-2009, 01:02 PM
I have a Baby's Tears, and a Mother In-Laws Tongue (Or a Bird's Nest) in mine. The two look pretty similar, and I can't remember which I bought, though I know both are non toxic.

wyatt003
07-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Do you have proper drainage in your viv? If the soil gets too wet it will probably kill the plants.

Airedale
07-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Yes, I have leca with the whole false bottom deal. Or were you talking to Lizardman123?

wyatt003
07-10-2009, 01:30 PM
No lizardman123, that's a problem with many types of ground cover type plants, or all plants for that matter.

Douwe
07-10-2009, 05:02 PM
The kind of plants you can use is almost unlimited, but depends on the look you want and the conditions in your tank, the soil form ost plants must be moist but not wet, so you'll need a drainage and/or a false bottom. Stale water kills most (and smells terrible like a swamp). for the back and the side of the tank things are easier, bromelia's don't need soil so take them out of the pot clean the soil of and glue them to the background or on a branch, same of tillandsia's but they need it even more dry so put them as high as you can (the greyer they are the higher you put them). Various ficus plants will do good against the back and cover it quickly. Begonia's, Ferns, Peperomia are good for the bottom but they do not like wet feed all the time. I even have a bananaplant in my tank that i have to cut down once or twice a week or it gets to big. But like the animals they all like some fresh air, good lighting and not to dry or wet, for the rest it is a question of trial and error to find out which will do best in what spot.
I put a picture of one of my tanks (occupied by lygodactylus and poison frogs) in the getting to know you forum so you might get an idea of what look i am after.

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/getting-know-you-introduction/40951-hello-south-netherlands.html

Grts Douwe.

oeamon
07-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Awesome tank!:biggrin: