PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a new enclosure....

Gecko Newbie
07-22-2009, 01:35 AM
Currently - my female leopard gecko is in a 20 L tank and my male is in a 10gallon - both have repticarpet, a log hide on the cool side and shell looking hides on the warm sides.

I was recently wandering around the reptile isles at Petsmart, just looking, and I found a Herp Habitat by Lee's. It's essentially a plastic container, but it has a curved front and kind of a second story. The ramp and second floor are what caught my eye. My female, Lola, spends a great deal of time crawling up her huge log and into the fake tree in her set up. I know leopard geckos aren't arboreal, but she really does like to be up as high as possible.

I was wondering what some of your opinions might be on this little habitat. It's about the size of a 10 gallon tank, but it's got the second floor and ramp.... The only thing is the bottom floor is crescent shaped, and I worry about overall space.... Also - a little worried she'd try to crawl on top of the hide on the second floor and fall....

Anyone seen one of these or willing to search the Petsmart site for it and give me your opinion?

Just toying with the idea - thought it might be nice to give Lola some climbing space. :)

Riverside Reptiles
07-22-2009, 11:52 AM
If you really want to give her some climbing space, just add some more branches, some cool rocks, etc. It's cheap and then she gets to keep her 20 gallon long instead of a ten gallon plastic thing.

Gecko Newbie
07-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks Ethan! :)

I was wondering, though, if I give her room to climb to the top of the tank - how likely is it that she'd be able to push the lid off and escape?

Also, if she were to fall from a branch inside the tank - do you think she'd get hurt?

critternerd
08-30-2009, 12:11 AM
leopard geckos are really quite sturdy when it comes to falls and drops. i have had my Leo jump out of my hand and whack the floor pretty hard, and I am almost 6 foot. I don't think that a short fall would really harm your Lola.But,I have to agree with RIVERSIDE REPTILES on this matter. Your gecko would likely prefer the twenty gallon tank as compared to a small 10 gallon plastic doodad. The idea is neat though...

MellowMan24
08-30-2009, 01:22 AM
what i did was... i used to have a hamster and it had this wood bridge thing so i thought why not use it for my leos so i cleaned it and glued suction cups to the side (i used old salt water food clips) of the log bridge and rested the corner on a log thing (so it would be stable) got a cheap plant at petsmart($2.99 found it a few days later at another pet store $7.99!:shock:) and hung it over the plat form and my mack snow likes it (to poop on:coverlaugh:)
here is a pic-