PDA

View Full Version : HELP... What is this...

Debbie
07-22-2009, 06:35 AM
Don't know where else to put this, so I'll just put it here, since i found them in the "food" we give to our animals.
This morning i found some kind of caterpillar in our Dubia colony....
After removing 1 i found a second and 1 hour later i had found a few hundred of them...
I also found some bugs, the small ones are red, but (what i think are adults) are black.
The caterpillars are about 1 cm long and the bugs are a bit smaller.

What are they? Are they harmful to our animals (Rhacodactylus,Uroplatus and a Tegu), if we accidentally put one in their tanks and they eat or touch it?
I sorted out a few of out Dubia and put them into another box to keep them in till i know what they are, but most of the little babies are to small to sort them from the caterpillars...

Brr... got goosebumps all over me..... hope you can help us out....

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp195/The-Gex-Files/rups.jpg

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp195/The-Gex-Files/kever.jpg

EDIT:
We found out what they are, they are dermestid beetles.
We already had contact with an entomologist who is interested in them, so hopefully we won't have them for long...
Just hope they haven't spread. We haven't found them anywhere in our house yet. But they might have ended up in our vivs when feeding our animals roaches...

PhelsumaUK
07-22-2009, 07:02 PM
They won't cause any harm. Some of my geckos will eat them, most don't. They are kept in with the feeder insects at the farms as they help by eating dead crickets etc.

The only problem you may have is that the beetles can fly. They're not too good at it and are easy to knock out of the air but might be a nuisance if you have lots of them and you keep them indoors.

If you keep your feeders in bins/buckets, empty the old bran out before putting your new order in as the beetle and larvae will starting accumulating in the bottom of the bucket

Matt K
07-23-2009, 12:47 AM
It is a variety of Dermestid beetle. They live anywhere they can scavenge leftover food items or anything dead.

Debbie
07-23-2009, 03:32 AM
Oké, thanks for the reactions! We'll try to sort them out as much as we can and start with a clean tank... ;)
At least we won't have to freak out again if we come across them in the future... :)