PDA

View Full Version : Chahoua hatchling

Debbie
07-29-2009, 03:56 AM
Last night another chahoua hatched. They are so great! We are still waiting for the second one to hatch, hopefully it will go alright.
Till now we have a 100% hatch-rate from this species, so we are very satisfied!

http://the-gex-files.nl/images/koop/ch003_pop.jpg

http://the-gex-files.nl/images/koop/ch003_2_pop.jpg

cindy
07-29-2009, 06:23 AM
I stopped by and....Tada!!!:biggrin:
Congrats!!!!
Big Hug,

me

Debbie
07-29-2009, 06:28 AM
Yes, you are a miracle worker :-)
To bad you were already gone when it hatched....

Graham_s
07-29-2009, 08:31 AM
congratulations! great looking baby you have there. I know 100% hatch rates aren't that common so keep up the good work! you must be doing something right :)

Debbie
07-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks!
We haven't had a lot of eggs yet, just 6, but we have more incubating, and it's looking good :-)
This was our first season with chahoua, so we expected the worst, because we heard they were very hard to hatch, but it seems to go okay...

Graham_s
07-29-2009, 09:11 AM
well thats a good start! Good luck for the rest of the season!

Debbie
07-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks! And the 2nd one also hatched! We have just put him into the container with his sibling, so we'll make pictures within a few hours... :)

Debbie
07-30-2009, 03:31 PM
The hatchlings from this pairing are always so much alike, we can't even tell them apart....
Here are some pictures of the second one.

http://the-gex-files.nl/images/koop/ch004_pop.jpg

http://the-gex-files.nl/images/koop/ch004_2_pop.jpg

seonage
08-01-2009, 11:18 AM
congratulations for this hatch!! very very nice brown colors... I hope we will see more babys this years... Good luck (and work...)!!

do you mind share the parameters of incubation?? temp / days of incubations...

greetings...

Debbie
08-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks!

The incubation of the firs hatchling took 93 days.
The second hatchling one day later, so 94 days.
Temperatures were between 19 and 26 degrees celsius during incubation.

We also hope to see some more of these awesome creatures this year... :D

rhacoboy
08-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Congrats on the solid work!

Whats your secret to a 100% hatch rate!?

Debbie
08-02-2009, 04:17 AM
We use a great substrate called Superhatch. Doesn't dry out and is re-useable.
On advise from two other breeders we bury the eggs in the substrate, so the top doesn't dry out. We note that we only had 7 eggs so far, so trouble could still occur (*knocking off on a wooden table*). Next egg should hatch end of august, so we'll see.
We heard from some (more experienced) breeders who don't bury the eggs and also have good hatch-rates. Conclusion is, we really don't know exactly where the great hatch-rate comes from. We kept in our mind that the first eggs would probably go wrong since it's so difficult to get it right. We're surprised, but thankful that it works out so good for us. ;)

seonage
08-02-2009, 09:39 AM
"19 and 26 degrees celsius during incubation." this temperature is so much variable... !!!

The problem of the chahouas to born usually is that people incubate the eggs in hight temperatures... The embrion grow faster than necessary and don´t have strong to cut the egg wall ans born... IN my experience and friends we use to put 22º regular during the hole incubation time... Anyway always not over 24º...

OK... thanks...

Debbie
08-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks for your comment.
In our opinion the variable temperature gives stronger animals and a male/female mix (the mix we hope, but can't be proved yet).
Our hatchrate so far proves that all the hatchlings are strong enough to come out of the eggs at own strength, within 100 days.
As said, we are not experienced chahoua breeders yet, but apparently we are doing something right... We are very curious if we are also able to breed some females this way, but that is something we would need a years time for to know...
Thanks, Debbie & Léon

seonage
08-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks for your comment.
In our opinion the variable temperature gives stronger animals and a male/female mix (the mix we hope, but can't be proved yet).

Variable yes, but only day/night ratio in my experience... All autors confirm that geckos, in general needs regular ratios of temperatures to get a well development... Never knew that kind of incubation strategy... Thanks so much for sharing... Interesting...

Greetings and good work!!

Debbie
08-02-2009, 10:30 AM
You know... This hobby became big by pioneering... You read, read and try... Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... We are extremely lucky with the chahoua's, but the aurics just don't do anything at all... We tried everything, but can't get them to breed, even though they shouldn't make any problem... :(
At the time everything goes well with all of the other animals, even when we hear other stories... Only thing we can't get right are the aurics... We keep on puzzling... ;)
Thanks! Debbie & Léon

seonage
08-02-2009, 10:33 AM
:):):) I agree 100%... try try and... enjoy!!

bye.

rhacoboy
08-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the info :D. How old are your females?

Debbie
08-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Our mainland female is 2 years old, and just started breeding.
Our Pine Island females are 6 and 4 years old. And the mother of this nice hatchlings, which is of unknown locality, is 5 years old.

monremonda
08-06-2009, 03:56 PM
I used to incubate mine at flucuating temps and had mixed results. I then read in Henkel and Seipp's Racho. book that chahouas hatch at a more even sex ratio at about 26 deg. I started using that temp in an incubator this year and so far I have had 100% sucessful hatching this year. Hopefully this continues troughout the rest of the year. Either way it seems that there is still a lot of work that still needs to be done with these guys.

brian547
08-07-2009, 12:24 AM
very nice chewies! congratulations!