PDA

View Full Version : Which is easier to care for???

ang3l3s
08-21-2009, 04:45 PM
I'M thinking of getting another gecko species and was wondering which can be handled more , knob tails or viper geckos??? also which have more needs as far as heat and being picky eaters. I have done my research but wanna hear from people who have worked with them.

Amazing_Reptiles
08-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi There,

I already replied to you on the other forum on my profile, but I'll give you a little bit of information on these geckos here. Nephrurus are more of a look no touch gecko, they don't tolerate handling very well, and most of my adults are either aggressive, or very shy geckos. As soon as the lights go out they are very active and arn't afraid to walk around the enclosure with you watching them. They aren't picky eaters at all, mine seem to be huge pigs! Dispite this, knob-tails are very rewarding, easy to care for geckos (most species).

Although I have never kept Viper Geckos I do know a little bit about them. They too, do not tolerate handling well. Not only are they a more flighty species, there small size makes them quite difficult to handle. You can keep an adult trio in a 10 gallon tank with sand substrate, with a hot side tempurature of around 90F.

I would keep knob tails in 10 gallon tanks individually. Smooth skin species (levis,stellatus etc...) prefer more humid climate, rough skin species (amyae, wheeleri etc...) like it drier. Good beginner species to start with would be N. levis levis, N. wheeleri, or N. amyae. All fairly easy to care for, won't cost you an arm and a leg, and are just fun to keep!
-Steve

ang3l3s
08-21-2009, 08:30 PM
thanks steve, i hear the milli are more tolerable of handling, would u agree?

qw23e
09-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Yes Milii are more tolerant of handling than the others of the genus. At least thats what I have been told...