PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Moorish gecko, Tarentola mauritanica‏?

lemniscate
08-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi, I`ve got a new gecko. We`re hoping that he, or she, is a Moorish gecko, Tarentola mauritanica‏. Are we right? Your expert help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Lalla
08-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi
in my opinion is a Tarentola annularis

NathanSoto
08-25-2009, 12:00 PM
I was also thinking annularis due to the distinct white spots on its back shoulder area.

lemniscate
08-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks very much, Lalla and NathanSoto. I appreciate your help.
I can`t say I`m not Disappointed, though. I had hoped he/she was another Moorish and could go in with my existing T. mauritanica, Moorish female.
My Moorish gecko, who was identified for me a while back by danscantle, is only about two-thirds the size of this new gecko. Apparently this should have been OK, if they were the same species and either both females or male & female.
Would they still be OK intogether? In a 45x45x60cm vivarium.
I wouldn`t want to stress either.
After the little bit of reading I`ve done since I got your posts, I think the newby will get too big.

Ingo
08-25-2009, 02:08 PM
NO, Tarentola are extremely aggressive and everything but a member of the opposite sex from the same species will be attacked !

Ingo

lemniscate
08-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks, Ingo!!! I`m Soo Glad I thought to check!!
I got the T. annularis newby on the understanding that it was a T. mauritanica and a safe co-habitant for my T. mauritanica. The newby will have to go back.
I research as much as I can.. but, there`s still Soo much that I don`t know. So Grateful for All GU help in this matter.
A potential Disaster averted.