PDA

View Full Version : Tokay aggression??

lissa
11-18-2009, 10:05 AM
3 weeks ago we got 2 captive bred babies from a reptile show they are both around 11 weeks old. I was lead to believe that housing them together would be no problem as they dont sexually mature until 1 year old.

However we have noticed that the slightly smaller one has bite marks to the back of the neck, it also seems to spend more time at the front of the exo terra, while the other one stays at the back were the light is.

Any ideas on why one is being aggressive to the other? time to seperate?

Thanks

NathanSoto
11-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Have you seen them both eat??
It is fairly common with any gecko that the larger one will bully the little one, whether it be for food or space etc...i would say it would probably be best to separate them until you can sex them.

tokeh
11-18-2009, 10:30 AM
i agree with nathan,

what is the size of your terra and how much do you feed them?

lissa
11-18-2009, 10:38 AM
i agree with nathan,

what is the size of your terra and how much do you feed them?

There is only a tiny size difference they are the same age, they get several crickets put in their exo terra daily. The exo terra is 45x60x45 so plenty of room for them as they are both tiny at the mintue.

NathanSoto
11-18-2009, 10:44 AM
What is their size??and have you seen them both eat??
and i still think it would be best to separate them, regardless of the size of the terra to ensure they are both properly eating and growing and not attacking each other.

tokeh
11-18-2009, 10:45 AM
than the best would be to seperate them and put the terra's next to eachother so that they can get used to eachother.
and when they are old enough you can sex them and see if you can put them together again.
are the bite wound fresh or are they older.
it is possible that it happened in the beginning when they were not used to eachother.

lissa
11-18-2009, 11:03 AM
What is their size??and have you seen them both eat??
and i still think it would be best to separate them, regardless of the size of the terra to ensure they are both properly eating and growing and not attacking each other.

I think we will seperate them asap, the OH usually gives them both a cricket with the tweezers and then throws the rest in, so they have both been eating.

Picture for size reference this is one of them on my boyfriends hand

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj220/meliscrazy_2008/tokay.jpg

and a picture of the enclosure as you can see plenty of cover for hiding away

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj220/meliscrazy_2008/enclosure.jpg

than the best would be to seperate them and put the terra's next to eachother so that they can get used to eachother.
and when they are old enough you can sex them and see if you can put them together again.
are the bite wound fresh or are they older.
it is possible that it happened in the beginning when they were not used to eachother.

There is stuck skin on the marks so I am guessing it isnt really recent they lived together before we bought them at the breeders place with another 2 baby tokays, he had breed himself.

NathanSoto
11-18-2009, 11:12 AM
It looks GOOD! :) if you think its old then i would just watch them to see any aggression, but try and make sure they eat about the same.

Still separating them might not be a bad idea at least for a while like tokeh said at least until they are sexable (some tokays, usually males, can reach sexual maturity as early as 9 months)

tokeh
11-18-2009, 11:37 AM
verry nice terra and good decorated.
looks awesome.
if the wounds are a litle older you can wotch them for a couple more day and check them frequently for wounds.
i could have been the stress of a new envoirement and maybe its oke now.
personal i would see what happens in the next two days and see if he get news wounds.
and make sure that they both eat good also with vitamins and calcium.

good luck