PDA

View Full Version : Gehyra sp. ID! (Urgent)

SeventyThree
12-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Hey everyone,

I have the opportunity to purchase this gecko, but wanted some confirmation first. It's labelled as G.vorax (and it's definitely not marginata IMO), I'm just not 100% sure on the ID as I know vorax are not common in the hobby.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww70/cschwartz73/Gvorax.jpg

Dyesub Dave
12-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Hey there Chanel ... I saw some similar pics a while back but can't remember where I saw them or what species it was. However I did find this listing of the Gehyra species. Perhaps you could do a Google Picture Search on the names and find something that matches.

Geckos - Subfamily Gekkoninae, Genera Gehyra (http://www.the-lizard-lounge.com/content/library/lizard-families/geckos/gehyra.asp)

BTW - My marginata still isn't very friendly. She comes out and let's me look at her but any move towards the enclosure and she's gone. I'll be setting her up in a larger enclosure in the New Year so perhaps the extra room will calm her down a bit. Although she's eating and growing and otherwise seems to be doing well.

Dyesub Dave. :biggrin:

Graham_s
12-17-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm not very familiar with the genus but could it be G.oceanica?

SeventyThree
12-17-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm not very familiar with the genus but could it be G.oceanica?

That's what I was thinking based on a post I looked up here on GU, it very well could be! Are they usually imported in place of vorax like the marginata?

SeventyThree
12-17-2009, 08:47 PM
My marginata still isn't very friendly.

Hey Dave!
Glad to hear she's doing well. I may have lucked out and got one that was just inclined to tame down, but hopefully she'll calm down for you soon. At least they're stunning to look at when you actually see them! ;-)

GEHYRA
12-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Gehyra oceanica is what you have there

SeventyThree
12-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Yep, we confirmed it the other day as a G.oceanica based on a paper comparing G.oceanica and G.vorax :)

Salzy
12-25-2009, 09:59 PM
What are the differences between them all? I know that they all get confused and mislabeled all the time, so it would be awesome to know some of the characteristics.

Anything you can share as to how you figured it out or what you know about the species?

SeventyThree
12-27-2009, 01:31 AM
I don't know how to attach the PDF file for the comparison between G.vorax and G.oceanica. If someone who knows how PM's me I can email them the file and they can post it. It's called:

The Giant Pacific Geckos of the Genus Gehyra: Morphological Variation, Distribution, and Biogeography
William N. Beckon
Copeia, Vol. 1992, No. 2 (May 1, 1992), pp. 443-460
(article consists of 18 pages)
Published by: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists

It's an interesting read, but it focuses solely on those two species.

I attached the pictures of the three available geckos (1.2) that he sent me afterwards and then we concluded G.oceanica based on what we read/know.

SeventyThree
12-27-2009, 01:39 AM
Reading the study, they compared scale counts, lamellae counts, and SVL between the two species, and the man I was working to identify these with asked if I could get some pictures of my G.marginata for his own personal knowledge. I did one better and got some of the scale counts and measurements, so here they are for anyone else interested.

The measured lengths I took:

Total Body Length: 251mm
SVL: 144mm
Ocular Width (Across Eye): 5.1mm
Width of 4th Toe: 5.1mm (measurement used in the study mentioned in above post)

(If anyone wants to use these photos elsewhere, that's fine, but I'd like to be credited for them.)

GEHYRA
01-07-2010, 08:20 PM
I don't know how to attach the PDF file for the comparison between G.vorax and G.oceanica. If someone who knows how PM's me I can email them the file and they can post it. It's called:

The Giant Pacific Geckos of the Genus Gehyra: Morphological Variation, Distribution, and Biogeography
William N. Beckon
Copeia, Vol. 1992, No. 2 (May 1, 1992), pp. 443-460
(article consists of 18 pages)
Published by: American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists

It's an interesting read, but it focuses solely on those two species.

I attached the pictures of the three available geckos (1.2) that he sent me afterwards and then we concluded G.oceanica based on what we read/know.

Is there a link to this article?

micky20
01-08-2010, 06:03 AM
hi.
for me this one looks like g.baliola i have a single male.

SeventyThree
01-09-2010, 07:46 PM
hi.

It could be, we based in mostly on that study and specimens we've seen, and the study did not cover G.baliola.

Also, this is the closest I could find to a direct link, but you can't read it unless you are a member of JSTOR or buy it:
Article (http://www.jstor.org/pss/1446204)

I could have sworn I found it as a full file somewhere on Google, but I can't seem to find it again.

GEHYRA
01-10-2010, 02:12 PM
hi.

Baliola from what I was told is much more rare
when i got mine a while back they were labeled as baliola
BUT they sure do look like Oceanica
I maybe wrong
I will have my sister take some close up shots of mine asap
And see if i can post them up here so we can slear things up
on which species they are
give me a few days i will post them up

micky20
01-10-2010, 05:22 PM
iŽll make you some pics of baliola. what sex is your gecko?

GEHYRA
01-11-2010, 06:27 PM

I have males & females

GEHYRA
01-17-2010, 10:56 PM

Here is a link to my MYSPACE page
click on pics to view my photo of one of my male's

MySpace - GEHYRA - 20 - Male - NEW YORK, New York - myspace.com/gehyra (http://www.myspace.com/gehyra)