PDA

View Full Version : Getting my first Auriculatus

Emilylovesherps
01-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Should be flying in tomorrow. This guy is only 4 grams, and is a nice orange blotched retic. I have a small tank with paper towels and some branches, water dish (normal baby cresty type set up). Anything I should be aware of as a new Gargoyle keeper? I will have 1/4 inch crickets dusted in calcium on the menu twice a week. Do these guys like CGD too? Thanks in advance for the info :)

MPLexus301
01-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Gargs commonly eat more CGD than crickets, so don't be surprised if your little one has no interest in insects but laps up CGD.

Also, gargs are known to be bitey and it can often hurt pretty bad. Some are sweet, but most are rather aggressive at first.

Good luck!

Emilylovesherps
01-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the quick response :) Can't be any worse of a bite than my Tokays or the snakes I work with, I suppose, lol. I know most babies are on the fragile side, anyway, so I'll keep the handling to a minimum.

StickyFeet.
01-12-2010, 12:32 PM
I've never known a Garg so far to be aggressive yet. I've got 9 of them, all varying ages (3 months to 2 1/2 years) and I've never been bitten. They're quite a bit calmer than Cresteds are, I find. Also, when Gargs are younger, expect to have little cricket monsters. All of mine went absolutely crazy for crickets and still do. They can be picky eaters with CGD, so if you've got multiple flavours try them all out. I have one male that loves mango and the other wont have anything to do with it so they do have their own preferences.

Gargs also tend to go after larger prey items, so if you find he/she is not going after the crickets, get some that are a bit on the larger side and see if that makes a difference. None of mine were ever impressed with tiny crickets lol, they're pigs that way.

All the best and congrats!! I can't wait to see pictures!! :biggrin:

Emilylovesherps
01-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks y'all! MPLexus-you were right! Got him this am, he nipped me right out of the box lol. He was shedding though. I will post pics a little later tonight. Got cute little orange blotches. What size are these guys sexable? I would guess he's around 7-8 grams. Is it similar to sexing crestys with a loupe? (I have one) . . . Thank you again :biggrin:

MPLexus301
01-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Congrats on the little one!

Gargs can be tricky as even females will form pores sometimes, so you really have to wait for the buldge to drop. In some cases you don't know the sex of the gecko until it is ~20g.