PDA

View Full Version : I need help!!!

horrorheart149
02-16-2010, 01:36 AM
Hello. My leopard gecko Mickey has a bad problem and I don't know what to do. Yesterday I noticed that he had what looked like a HUGE poop hanging off his backside. We decided to pull it off so he wasn't dragging it around. It was really stuck badly and it was a bit bloody. We broke part of it off and then left him for the night. This morning it was still there so we gave it a tug and pulled it off. Mickey looked really happy that it was off, but his backside was yucky and bloody. Mickey is okay. He is eating, drinking, walking around, doing what he usually does. But this wound on his butt is still yucky and now it is covered in the sand from his habitat. What do I do? I am very scared right now. Maybe pulling it off was a bad idea. We were just trying to help. I am so worried about Mickey. I love him very very much. He means a lot to me. What can I do?

acpart
02-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Regardless of whether you believe in keeping leopard geckos on sand, take him off the sand for now while he has this sore. Put him on tile or paper towels. "Irrigate" the sore, meaning, run warm water over it to wash out all the sand. There is a faint possibility that the "big poop" was actually his hemipenis that prolapsed (came out) and then got dried and was ready to fall off. Otherwise, he just had a big poop and stuck shed and has an abrasion. If the wound looks just like "road rash", keep it clean and dry (after you wash it off) and off sand till it heals. If it looks more serious, take him to the vet.

Aliza

Riverside Reptiles
02-17-2010, 12:12 PM
I do agree with Aliza that you should wash the area and he should be taken off of sand at least until the wound heals. I'd suggest taking him to the vet.

horrorheart149
02-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks. I have changed his tank to paper towels and have done some homework and the pictures of the gecko hemipenes is exactly what Mickey has had. My new dilemma is that I washed it off in the water really well, but some of the sand won't come out. Also Mickey has not pooped since it came off and I am concerned. What can I do now?

horrorheart149
02-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Thanks. I have changed his tank to paper towels and have done some homework and the pictures of the gecko hemipenis is exactly what Mickey has had. My new dilemma is that I washed it off in the water really well, but some of the sand won't come out. Also Mickey has not pooped since it came off and I am concerned. What can I do now?

Riverside Reptiles
02-18-2010, 10:47 AM
You NEED to go to the vet.

horrorheart149
02-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Will do. I have FINALLY convinced my parents to let me take him to the vet. Thanks for all the advice :)

horrorheart149
02-19-2010, 12:55 AM
We called the vet and the earliest appointment we could get was on Monday. Are there any other things that I can do that will be helpful for the next few days? Even simple little things?

Riverside Reptiles
02-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Keep him on the paper towels, make sure he has a hide box and proper temps. And leave him alone for the next couple of days so that he's as stress free as possible.

horrorheart149
02-19-2010, 11:16 AM