PDA

View Full Version : Black eyed tokay?

Riverside Reptiles
06-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Some of the tokay morphs have solid black eyes (ie some of the leucistics and some of the calicos). I'm curious if the blackness of the eyes is something that they're born with? Or is it something that changes over time? As most of you know, I have a handful of cbb calico x calico babies. The mom has black eyes, the dad does not. All the babies have normal eyes (so far anyways).

Green-eyed Gecko
06-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Hey Ethan,

first I like to say as we know there's a range of eye colorations. Especially that from the calicos varies from normal, blue , black , brown, grey, silver to at least mixed eyed colorations. Sometimes it's also possible that they have more than one color in each eye - for example blue and black.

As we know from other species real leucistics or albinos should be born with an usual eye-color - same like they are born with a white skin! Till now I've only found one picture on the internet of such an tokay juvenile!

Finely to answer your question.:biggrin: The Calicos can change their eye-color when they grow up same like their skin-color! It happens step by step.
My advice to you: Check out the veins in their eyes from time to time! On the picture you can see the first step of such a metamorphosis!

As i said there are many options. So you still have to wait what happens. I bet not all of your animals will have the same eyes - some will have blue, some black and so on and so force!;-) - It varies same like the moment when they start the metamorphosis of their skin! Sometimes they start after years to changing their color! So don't give some of them away cause you think they won't change - they will but later!:)

At the moment I'm at the point that I would say there aren't different calico-morphs. It's all the same no matter which eye color. They just vary in the shaping of the metamorphosis!
What do think?

Best regards
Georg

Riverside Reptiles
06-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the info Georg. Have you actually seen this for yourself? Or is it just a theory? My calico x calico babies are just starting to change (they are about a year old)...so I will be excited to see what happens with their eye colors as well. Since the parents have different color eyes, it will be interesting to see if one ends up being more dominant than the other.

Green-eyed Gecko
07-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Hey Ethan,
it's no theory! The first picture shows an eye of an adult calico(blue&black-eyed) x calico(blue&black-eyed) that starts changing it's color. The second photo shows an eye of the same animal one year later at the age of three! That tokay started changing the whole metamorphism at the age of 2! As you can see with your calico-baby the metamorphose can start way earlier!
Best Regards

Riverside Reptiles
07-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all that info Georg!

danniel
04-08-2011, 07:12 AM
how about this tokay??

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/37289_1368301245178_1161099620_30884323_7715841_n. jpg

tombo46
04-08-2011, 02:12 PM
That's awesome Daniel, any idea whats caused it?

Riverside...If you're calico x calico's are starting to change is that proof that it is indeed simple recessive?

reason I ask is that I currently have a Calico x Calico in my posession but whether they are the same gene remains to be seen. its a couple of years old but still very "young" weight wise (30g when I got it). it probably weighs in the region of 70g - 80g now. I understand that its very possible that mine came from a pairing of two incompatible genes so could simply be a double het but if it turns out to be female (fingers crossed) I can put it to my Calico Male next year and hopefully produce some visual calico's (if it is indeed recessive).

what sort of weight were yours when they started turning? and how exactly did the process go? did they darken off and then start to lose pigment?

I currently have hatchlings from a Calico x Blue/Yellow Granite pairing and hope that sometime in the next 2 - 3 years I can produce a double.

Riverside Reptiles
04-08-2011, 10:56 PM
@ Danniel, that's crazy! I've never seen a tokay with two completely different eyes like that!

@ Tombo...my calico x calicos (I have 4 of them from the same parents) all look "different" than normal. Two are olive colored, one stays dark ALL the time, and one has made amazing changes all through her life and is still changing at roughly two years old. None has turned into a calico yet though. Although, the one that has gone through the major changes appears to be losing the pigment on her head now. So, she may well become a peach head, and could still yet turn calico or even into a leucy. See this link for pics: http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/gekko-including-tokay-golden-white-lined-etc/50784-tokay-morphs.html

danniel
04-09-2011, 06:47 AM
That's awesome Daniel, any idea whats caused it?

No idea :blushing:

danniel
04-09-2011, 06:49 AM
@ Danniel, that's crazy! I've never seen a tokay with two completely different eyes like that!

Thanks Riverside :blushing:

thehotchik1000
04-09-2011, 03:59 PM
So happy everyone that we are getting more familiar with these morphs. I think everyone is doing a great job. It's exciting to see those calico babies doing some changes. What I never thought possible years ago has become the present. I'd like to grab a couple of calicos in the future to dink around with them. My Lucy project has been my main focus for the last three years and its almost there. I'm at the point where f1 eggs are starting to hatch anyways. Definately keep showing those changes. They are crazy!
Morgan

billewicz
07-28-2011, 03:44 AM
Here's one to add to the mix, I've had 2 Calico with Snake Eyes. Basically black with a half moon of white mixed in.

Michael

vip87
09-04-2011, 10:38 PM
I have something similar to Danniel's gecko. Just look at her eye and pardon for the picture quality :)
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/Thunder_blast/DSC04512.jpg

tombo46
09-05-2011, 02:02 AM
I have something similar to Danniel's gecko. Just look at her eye and pardon for the picture quality :)
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/Thunder_blast/DSC04512.jpg

Really cool. Out of interest, is the eye always sunken in like that or is it "pulling" it in?

vip87
09-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Really cool. Out of interest, is the eye always sunken in like that or is it "pulling" it in?
The dark colored eye is smaller than the normal eye. She is not 'pulling' it in.

J.P.
09-08-2011, 01:16 AM
how about this tokay??

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/37289_1368301245178_1161099620_30884323_7715841_n. jpg

i have a female like this. i rescued her from a dealer who did not not know what to do with his unsold geckos. the eye in question looked constantly dilated, even in a well lighted surrounding. it's wild caught and appears as normal as morphs go, so i never paid much attention to the eye. the rescued group had all sorts of problems from mishandling and improper care, so i assumed the female had a simple eye injury. the gecko appears to be able to see out of the "black" eye, and other than the fact that it's always black, the eye appears to be healthy. when she recovers fully, maybe i will breed her next season and see if any offspring has the "eclipse" eyes.

JIGSAW818
10-28-2011, 12:01 PM
No idea :blushing:

@Danniel.......LOL. Adobe PS works well doesn't it :blushing:

danniel
10-29-2011, 12:47 AM
@Danniel.......LOL. Adobe PS works well doesn't it :blushing:

black eye??not Adobe PS.
the overall picture colour differ slightly from its original,because I use canon clear picture style.