PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Gecko always poops on me!!

Lenewen
04-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Hello Everyone!!

I have 2 leopard geckos. One of them, whom Ive dubbed 'Isis', has been in my possession for a few months. Shes a juvenile still, technically, and about 6in long. The last 2 days, shortly after Ive taken her out of her cage and she walks around me a bit, she settles on my hand and poops on it!!! Why does she DO this? She does it so fast, I can't redirect her!

She seems comfortable with me. Is she perhaps too comfortable?? I take her out every day because she likes to explore my room a bit. Unfortunately, I have her in a ten gallon tank for this week. Im working on a new terrarium in the 40 gallon tank that she and her companion, Io, usually use. Maybe it was the move? I know its kinda small in her current tank but its only temporary and she and Io are still juveniles after all.

Bottom line; anyone know why shes always pooping on me, and how I can get her to stop?

Thanks in advance!

-Lenewen

Lenewen
04-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Alright guys, Im going crazy here! Shes still peeing AND pooping on me. Its really gross! Any insight??

sune jensen
04-14-2011, 01:16 PM
geckos belong in their cages
they are not pets.They dont get tame. They are primitive animals. But the they are interested in their own right. If you dont want her to poop on you just dont take her out.

Saskia
04-15-2011, 01:17 PM
they are not pets.They dont get tame. They are primitive animals. But the they are interested in their own right. If you dont want her to poop on you just dont take her out.

I disagree with this opinion because leos DO get tame, I believe she (MAYBE, there's no way to be ceirtain) can't find her defecatorium in this new enclosure and when she's out se "let's it out" but it is a very unusual behavior......

sune jensen
04-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Nope, leo geckos may learn to accept you handling them. And they may learn to associate you with food.
But you can never have a personal relation to a gecko. And they do not get tame, by any meaningful defintion of that term.

BTW 'empthying out' is a common stress and defence reaction with very many reptiles. That is probably what you are experiencing.

Lenewen
04-15-2011, 03:59 PM
My gecko is extremely relaxed with me, but I never once claimed to have tamed her. Whether she is "tame" like a dog or not really doesnt have anything to do with the problem at hand. When I first got her as a juvenile, I hardly handled her because she would get stressed and hiss. Once she got a little bigger and used to her terrarium, I started handling her daily and she really enjoys it. I know this because these days, I put my hand in the tank and she immediately comes out of her favorite hide and climbs on it. Lots of leopard geckos enjoy being handled, though most other geckos do not. As well, I used to let her sit on my lap or shoulder for hours and she would never defecate on me! Since the tank switch from 40gal back to 10gal (temp for my terrarium building) she has started to make her way from my lap to my palm and defecate there. I think she chose my hand for a potty spot since hers got taken away, but I wasnt sure because its so unusual. I was hoping others had had the experience and could explain what was behind the behavior. Stress is not the problem.

Lenewen
04-15-2011, 04:09 PM
they are not pets.

I think you will find a lot of people disagree with this statement, including myself. I consider my geckos pets just the way I would consider a cat a pet. Do they have different needs and wants? Of course! But I still put time, money and love into both.

I also dont agree that they belong in their cages. I dont think they should be forcibly taken out and manhandled, but if they want to come out and I can monitor them to ensure they are safe, then there shouldnt be a problem.

-Lenewen

sune jensen
04-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Lenewen, both this

'...I started handling her daily and she really enjoys it. I know this because these days, I put my hand in the tank and she immediately comes out of her favorite hide and climbs on it. Lots of leopard geckos enjoy being handled,

and this

'I consider my geckos pets just the way I would consider a cat a pet.'

illsutrates to me a complete and total misunderstanding of the nature of these animals. I dont care if there a lots of peple who share this misunderstanding. That simply does not make the illusion any more real. (hint: the gecko climbs onto your hand, because it has learned to associate it with heat and/or food; and it poops because being taken out strees it..really....trust me)

I dont think there is anyting I can say or do that will explain the true nature of these highly interesting but very primitive animals to you. In terms of experience with geckos the few people in here that know me know my merits. But I will not say anymore.

Best,
Sune

Holly12
04-19-2011, 03:11 AM

LOL leopard geckos can become very tame whear are you geting that they don't?. I really desagree with you on this one. :roll:

sirhcreklaw2010
04-21-2011, 10:33 AM
I disagree with sune too my 2 are very "tame" and often come to me when I am doing maintenance in the viv. I also handle them daily with no ill effects.

What are your merit sune 'cus you seem to no nothing about leo's and there association with their human owners. Please do enlighten us as to where you get this info from.

As Leo's can learn to trust their owners and become very tame with time and patience they get very comfortable being handled. Of course they are "wild" animals (but most Leo's in the pet trade are captive bred) also by your reasoning there is no way a dog can become tame as they are naturally a "wild" animal (as are humans come to mention it).

To say the cannot become tame is such a naive opinion.

bwoodfield
04-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Regardless if it's geckos, cats, dogs or birds; if an animal is used to being around people and handled on a regular basis then there is no issue with it. The animal with condition to it and possibly enjoy/need that interaction. On the other hand if they are not used to being around people or being handled it would be no different than being wild, and handling them would cause a great deal of stress.

sirhcreklaw2010
04-21-2011, 10:45 AM
I said with time they can become accustomed to being handled or to your hand being in the viv.

Everything takes time just as it take us time to trust another human it is the same for an animal, but as trust grows they become more friendly as do we.

Lenewen
04-21-2011, 11:17 AM
As Leo's can learn to trust their owners and become very tame with time and patience they get very comfortable being handled. Of course they are "wild" animals (but most Leo's in the pet trade are captive bred) also by your reasoning there is no way a dog can become tame as they are naturally a "wild" animal (as are humans come to mention it).

Sune, This blogger makes a very good point. GU is a blog site for ALL types of geckos. Tell me, what is your experience with Leopard Geckos specifically? Not all geckos are created equal after all.

I did some experimenting, and considered your advice for a long time but I just can't seem to find a reason why you would be correct. When I open that tank (even AFTER feeding time when they have eaten their fill and rejected the rest) Isis leaves her nice warm hide and comes out of the tank. She is still pooping on my palm and I think I have figured out why. The tank Isis and Io share is small because I am still not done grouting/sealing and painting the 40 gal terrarium. Im noticing Isis isnt pooping in a very specific spot like she used to in the 40gal. it seems she has chosen my palm as her preferred place to go to the bathroom. She does it the same exact way every time too. She hangs her tail over the "ledge" of my palm and defecates off it (lol). When shes done, she walks down my hand, into my lap and goes about her business like it never happened. She only ever seems to do it once a day so Ive gotten used to it. Once shes back in her 40 gal, she will probably stop.

On a side note, I'm not sure I believe "wild" animals should be stuck in a cage all the time. When I first got Isis, I couldnt even get her out of the tank to CLEAN it because she would hiss at me and flick her tail. I would capture her as gently as possible and put her back as soon as possible. But the more I eased her into being handled, the more she found she liked it and now, it does appear she enjoys it enough to seek me out. She is more vocal now too, chirping softly as she wanders my room/lap/terrarium. I havent heard her hiss or seen her bat her tail at anyone in months. She appears quite happy and healthy, having doubled in size since I got her.

Sune, do you have references?? I would be very interested to read more about your perception of Leopard Gecko behavior. It is opposing opinions like yours that keep me on this blog, trying to learn as much about these fascinating creatures as possible.

Thanks,

-Lenewen

sirhcreklaw2010
04-21-2011, 01:31 PM
My exotics experience is with Leo's only but I also have 2 Rabbits ("Tame") & a budgie (who is not "tame" but I am working on it) and you are right no animals are created equal, the same applies to humans.

Lenewen
04-22-2011, 10:30 AM
I have 2 leopard geckos, Isis and Io. Isis appears to like being handled now. She is very relaxed around me. Never hisses or flicks her tail anymore. Io on the other hand does not like being handled much, though she is getting better. She's younger so that is probably why she's so skittish. We dont like to stress her so I usually just leave her alone. Seeing the two gecko's behavior provides a good contrast in regards to signs of stress/dislike when being handled. I think Isis is fine with being out of her cage. She's still expelling feces on people though. She did it to my best friend the other day, right off the side of her thigh. I have no idea where this new behavior came from but I reallllyyyy hope it goes away when she goes back in the 40gal tank.... :(

lovemyleopardgeckos
07-26-2013, 03:32 PM
i REALLY disagree that leopard geckos can not be tame! i have four and all four of them are tame and i have personal relationships with all of them! so i have no idea where you got that idea from!:roll:

Leopard gecko mommy
10-01-2014, 08:17 AM
Yea I agree leopard geckos can be tame and you can have a relationship in a way. I have two leopard geckos one is mine and the other is my boyfriends. Mine is pretty chill with other people but my boyfriends only likes my boyfriend. I've been trying to warm him up to me since my boyfriend has been busy with school and work. He just gets grumpy and waggs his tail at me but loves my boyfriend.

KevinAndSquirtTheGeckos
10-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Geckos typically choose a corner to do their business in, and that's their bathroom forever. My leos always went in the back left corner of the tank. Even after I changed tanks, they still went in the back left corner. If they have something in the way of their chosen corner, this may be your issue. Or constipation that is only relieved by the exercise of walking around on you.

Andi
10-02-2014, 01:17 PM
I often times wonder just how much we know about Reptiles and Lizards. I'm not so sure that a cold blooded animal can't actually warm up and enjoy the companionship of a human.

I watched a video of a guy who rescued a crocodile in Costa Rica. The crocodile in turn befriended the man and allowed him to swim with him, and even play with him. This wasn't a crocodile that he raised from a baby, it was a wild animal that he rescued from a gun shot wound.

So while I believe that Leos do really want to be left alone, I think that in some cases, it's very possible that they can bond with their human owners.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Leopard gecko mommy
01-02-2015, 07:20 PM
My gecko has pooped on me but I think she just simply needed to go. She still goes in her corner so Yea. She has done it in the middle of my computer desk too.:lol: it like she walking an then is like Oh I got to poop *poops and is like ahhhhh that's better.