PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a female L. Williamsi

JMHuffines
10-02-2011, 05:03 PM
I ordered a 1.2 group online and they all made it here and settled in nicely. :yahoo: Unfortunately I ended up with three males. :cry: Now I am trying to find them girlfriends. Does anyone know of someone in the South East USA that breeds these guys? They are super neat and I would like to see more of them around! I will be going to Repticon in ATL in two weeks, but i don't feel like I am going to find any available there. Why aren't there any L. Williamsi out there? They seem pretty hearty!

Thanks,
Joshua

perry321
10-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Hay LLL reptile has at least a female. They dont live in south east usa but they can ship here is a link.Electric Blue Geckos (http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/animals/other-geckos/-/electric-blue-geckos/)

Airedale
10-05-2011, 10:55 PM
I got mine through Switzer reptiles. they usually have quite a few

JMHuffines
10-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Greetings and Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately LLLreptiles does not guarantee the sex and I surely can not house anymore males of this species. I have resolved the problem with original company and they decided to send me two females, all I have to do is pay for shipping. Lets hope they get it right this time! In reguards to feeding these guys, is it ok to feed them wild caught leaf hoppers and the like? Mine seem to like to hunt at the top of the cage and my fruit flies (and crickets) stay at the bottom!

-j

1.1 Ornate Uromastyx
1.1 Nigerian Uromastyx
3.0 Electric Blue Day Gecko
0.1 Crested Gecko
1.0 Eastern Fence Lizard
1.1.4 Green Anole
1.1 Mountain Horned Dragon
0.3 Pygmy Leaf Chameleon
2.3 Cats
1.2 Dogs
2.1 Horses
I must be losing my mind.

lauraleellbp
10-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Depends on where you live. If you live in an area with widespread pesticide use then I would not feed field-collected bugs. Have you tried elevating a feeder dish (like those magnetic feeder ledges)?

hexentanz
10-06-2011, 04:21 PM
As lauraleellbp has stated, field sweepings may only be collected and fed if they come from pesticide and fertilized free areas. You also need to be careful with fields sweepings that have a hard body, like certain grasshoppers as they are hard to digest.

You can try raised feeding stations or placing a banana slice in a dish near the top where they feed to attract the flies. But I can assure you when hungry these guys will go all over the place to hunt. I have a pair in a terrarium measuring 50x50x70cm and my husband says that he only ever sees them at the top, while I see them all over the place hunting.

JMHuffines
10-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Update: Called the company to see when they could ship my females and apparently the ones they had "got sick and died." They asked me to call back tomorrow to see if they had received another shipment.

In other news, I was horseback riding yesterday and caught my eastern fence lizard a girlfriend (I hope). It has a small amount of blue on its belly, but nothing like the amount that is on my current male. I am housing them in a 40 gallon aquarium with two anoles. I read somewhere that they wouldn't get along, but mine seem to do fine. The lizard I caught yesterday had red mites around the folds of its neck. This is the first time I have had to deal with mites. Any suggestions would be great! I cleaned all of the ones I could see of with a q-tip and warm water.

I'm going to repticon next saturday, so hopefully I can purchase a magnetic dish there. Good suggestion! My feild sweepings tend to produce leaf hoppers and small gnats. I have found that my EBDG's wont eat grass hoppers and they dont seem to like crickets either. They love leaf hoppers and flies! They also seem to enjoy eating small moths. Does anyone know if moths are safe for them to eat? I have fed a couple without any problems. Every now and again I also feed moths to my crested gecko. She also seems to enjoy them.

Thanks,
Joshua

JMHuffines
11-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Hello again! I have located a company that has female L. williamsi! With your experience, what is the best way to ensure that they send me females? My males have fairly prominent hemipenal buldges so I assume that this is the best way to sex them? Are ventrolateral horizontal facial markings and an orange belly color indicative of males? The picture they are displaying of their female has the facial markings.

Thanks
Joshua

hexentanz
11-17-2011, 04:22 AM
Hello again! I have located a company that has female L. williamsi! With your experience, what is the best way to ensure that they send me females? My males have fairly prominent hemipenal buldges so I assume that this is the best way to sex them? Are ventrolateral horizontal facial markings and an orange belly color indicative of males? The picture they are displaying of their female has the facial markings.

Thanks
Joshua

Both males and females have dark lines on the face and side of the head. Males have the obvious hemipenis buldges and preanal pores, as well as almost fully black throat. Females can also have a yellow/orange belly.

lauraleellbp
11-17-2011, 11:29 AM
At what age do the black throat and hemipenal bulges usually develop, Maureen?

hexentanz
11-17-2011, 11:51 AM
At what age do the black throat and hemipenal bulges usually develop, Maureen?

Between 4-5 months it is usually possible to tell the difference between the two sexes. The throat along with the bulges will start, by 6-7 months the throat should be nice and dark or solid black. Of course if you have a few males together, it can take longer to notice the throat or body coloration.