PDA

View Full Version : tokay help please....

larson customs
11-01-2011, 05:03 AM
I had a tokay shipped in via a broker for a customer I have never dealt with tokays ever but this one was obvious its sick and the broker replaced it with a healthy one so now i have the sick one in qt at my home its not eating, eyes semi sunk in, tail and body are very thin, I have forcefully fed it a pedialyte/white vinegar/water mixture as recomended by a vet but I'm wanting someone who has experience first hand. Please I've grown quite fond of the little guy over the past few days any advice helps
-Ryan

gekoman
11-01-2011, 05:15 AM
try and take him to your local pet shop and they should help

Riverside Reptiles
11-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Firstly, I would not force feed any sick gecko unless it's truly a last ditch effort. The stress of force feeding is often enough to put them over the edge. Your Tokay almost for certain has internal parasites (and quite likely external ones like red mites as well). These internal parasites, when in large numbers, and added to stresses of importation, can certainly be a cause for lack of appetite, etc. So treating them should help greatly. Also, make sure that all of it's husbandry needs are being met properly...proper temps and humidity are KEY as are proper vertical hides to reduce stress. Tokay prefer to lick their water from their surroundings rather than from a bowl. So it is important to mist several times per day in order to get him rehydrated. And feeding a quality diet of gut loaded and dusted crickets and/or roaches will help a lot as well. Minimal stress, maximum care is what it's going to take. But it certainly can be done. Tokay are tough as nails when given the proper treatment.

daggekko
11-02-2011, 08:25 PM
If the Tokay is drinking water when misted and you have the temperature and humidity correct that is a good indicator. If your gecko doesn't drink any water I'd rush it to the vet(good idea to take it to the vet regardless)