View Full Version : Costa Rica

12-28-2011, 09:40 AM
What documents would I need to catch anoles in Costa Rica

12-28-2011, 11:40 AM
If you want to walk around and hand-grab a few lizards, and then immediately release them, you probably don't need any documentation. If you plan on using any equipment (e.g., a noose) or want to take them from where you find them (e.g., your hotel room or the States), then you'll need permits. I haven't gotten permits for CR, but this is the official process...

These permits come in two flavors - collecting and export - and are self-explanatory. You need a collecting permit to collect, and an export permit to get your lizards through customs in Costa Rica and again in your port of entry, like the Atlanta airport or whatever. If you do a google search for "collecting export permit wildlife costa rica" you will find that these permits are not particularly easy to get, even for biologists. Apparently they thoroughly check bags at the airports as well.

If you get the permits, get through customs, and get home with your animals, then USFW gives you six months to submit a 3-177 form. This form lets them know that you've imported animals, and because you supply them with the original collecting and export permits, they know it was done legally.

This whole process is generally the same for any country, but how easy it is to first identify the permit-granting agency, and then actually get the permits, varies greatly. In general it's time-consuming and sucks.

12-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Yikes, sounds fun.