PDA

View Full Version : my tokay keeps eating the bottom ?

sesh man
04-07-2012, 12:56 PM
so my tokay will only eat live things like crickets and what not any way i know thats not good for her so i wont to put something new in i was thinking about puting a thin peace of rock tile for the bottom with my heat pab under the tank to keep it worm if this isnt a good idea plz let me know and tell me what i should use please and thank you this is a pc of what is in the bottom right now

thehotchik1000
04-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm sorry I'm a bit confused. You're tokay is eating crickets, but are you concerned that he or she is getting some subsadrate in her mouth and eating that at the same time?
This is pretty common for them to get a bit of sub in their mouths at the same time they grab their food. And it's not a problem. Their guts can handle a little dirt. Tile would not be the best option because it will give you humidity issues. What is that, that you are using for sub? Perhaps papertowel might be easier for you to use?

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

sesh man
04-07-2012, 02:10 PM
im not sure what it is it looks like busted up bark stuff my friend gave me my tokey with the tank and everything ill try the papertowel how much should i put in just one layer on the bottom ?

cricket4u
04-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Just sharing one of my solutions when using substrate. Buy a piece of plexiglass and get it cut about an inch wider than the bottom of the enclosure. Then cut it in half so that you can easily fit it through the doors and it should overlap making it easy to remove. You can make it out of any other material, but something that does not allow the crickets to lift and hide underneath.

sesh man
04-07-2012, 02:17 PM
so u use the plexiglassto cover the bottom when you feed?

sesh man
04-07-2012, 02:21 PM
i like that idea im going to try that first to see how it works for me thank you both

cricket4u
04-07-2012, 02:27 PM
so u use the plexiglassto cover the bottom when you feed? Yes. If it's a species that needs traction, a piece of shelf liner (vinyl)over it or alone can also work.

Riverside Reptiles
04-08-2012, 02:56 PM
You can just put the crckets in a tall gladware type container. The tokay will learn to climb onto the container to get it's food.