PDA

View Full Version : best form of heating for tokay tank(55 gallon)

Liddle
06-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Wondering on topic. And also what are the best hides for them

Marauderhex
06-01-2012, 09:10 PM
I stick UTHs to the sides of the enclosure using aluminum tape.

MC gecko
06-01-2012, 11:04 PM
The best hides for them, is medium size of natural cork bark round made from Zoo-Med.
You just have to cut the cork in a half and If you want higher hide, you just have to glue with silicone another cork over the first one.

Mathieu Bigras

Riverside Reptiles
06-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Depends on if your 55 gallon is horizontal (like a fish tank) or set up on it's side vertical like a vivarium (which is how you really should have it for tokay). You can heat with heat rope, or a UTH (under tank heater) or with a CHE (ceramic heat element). But so much depends on things like (as I mentioned already) the positioning of your tank, the ambient temp of the room it's in, if the lid is screen or solid, etc etc. Some people heat from the bottom, some from the sides, some from the top. Look through some old threads to see what others are doing.

As for hide, you want vertical hides, not hides on the ground. There's lots of great things that can be used as a hide. PVC pipe, Bamboo tubes, Cork bark tubes, cork bark flats, pieces of slate or other natural stone tile that are placed leaning against the side of the enclosure, heavy foliage plants, etc. The thing to keep in mind is that these animals DO NOT want to be on the ground. They want to be up on the sides or safely in a tube of some sort. Again, look through old posts for great ideas.

Liddle
06-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Ok so what would you use too stick the hides like cork bark or pvc on the side.of the tank. My tank is horizontal screen top with half of it converse by glass to trap humidity. Ambient room temp around 75 day 60 to 65 at nights. I use bark substrate. A few live foiliage being pothos.

billewicz
06-13-2012, 11:51 PM
I hope you are standing the 55 up on end vertically. If you choose to stay with the 55, there are kits to convert the open side of the tank into a glass door and screen too, I think. The ambient temp in the enclosure should be 77 degrees at night and 90 during the day.

The UTH will help keep the substrate from staying soggy from heavy misting. For cold rooms especially in the winter, an additional side mounted heating pad is very helpful too.

As has been noted above, vertical hides, vertical hides, vertical hides. Your Tokay sees the walls as it's 'floor'. All of them! Lean slate and cork bark up against the glass. Tall bark is available at most any reptile show. Hanging silk vine-like plants down the sides helps too.

Good luck.

Liddle
06-14-2012, 02:12 PM
I have it horizontal as of now. And where could i buy a vertical kit

billewicz
06-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Try Jungle Box Online - Frogs, Vivarium Supplies, Feeders and Tropical Plants (http://www.junglebox.net/) to see if they'll make one in your size. I've seen other companies, I just can't seem to locate the link right now.

Good luck,

Michael

Liddle
06-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Know anyplace I caN buy some natural slate?

Riverside Reptiles
06-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Know anyplace I caN buy some natural slate?

home depot

Liddle
06-15-2012, 02:09 PM
home depot

Tile section?

billewicz
06-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Also, try Craig's List under building supply. You're looking for (used) slate that were roofing tiles. They can be anywhere from 12" to 24" long and are a lot thinner and lighter than flooring slate found at Home Depot.

Riverside Reptiles
06-15-2012, 06:39 PM
I use the natural slate flooring tiles from Home Depot. Don't have a problem with them. At $.99 each, they're cheap and easy to get any time you want them. If you want to give them a more naturalistic look, you can take a hammer and knock some of the edges down or even break the tiles in half, etc so that they're not just big square tiles in the middle of the enclosure.