PDA

View Full Version : Tokays and Dubias....

xDEADFAMOUSx
07-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Iv had my tokays now a few weeks, i have done plenty of research and i contact a tokay breeder here in the uk oftern... But i wanted a broader opinion...

They are unfortunatly WC and iv had them for about 2-3weeks now and not once seen them eat, i have counted in 20 mixed sized roaches and counted out 20 roaches 3 days later... I am going to try crix & locust but since i have a dubia coloney for my monitor, i thought it would be better to feed from there....

Any advice would help... I do understand that they will be still settleing in, but surly even one or two roaches....

drillman
07-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Some will eat their first day while others will take a week before they will eat. If they are fresh imports, then maybe that is the reason they are not eating. The reason they are not eating could be because they are not happy or don't feel safe and secure. They will not happy unless they have place to hide and feel safe such as a dark tube hanging near the top of the cage. None of that hide on the ground stuff that you see on Youtube. They like to have one tube vertical and the other some what horizontal. They use both on and off. Next they need temps in the 80's and up to the low 90's. Too cool and they may not eat. They also need to have a fecal run for parasites. The parasites will add to their stress of being wc and imported.

xDEADFAMOUSx
07-03-2012, 03:57 AM
Thanks, i dont have any hides on the ground and i have a cork bark tube horizontal and a fake bush at the top of the exo where they like to hide. I also have removed the background and replaced with a piece of card that covers the back and left side of the exo, on the outside of the viv. I have read they prefur two sides of the exo covered. All my temps and humidity are as stated and they recieved a fecal test from the shop upon my collection of them and came back clear.

They are active enough when lights go out, and because i have a 7month daulghter, i get up oftern through the night and see them out and about...

Tokayy
07-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Give them time to get use to their new enclosure and surroundings. I have a WC and when I first got her it took her a little while to start eating. I thought it was weird considering the Tokay was eating in the pet store a couple days before I bought her. They will start eating soon. Let them get used to where they are and they will eat like pigs.