PDA

View Full Version : Possible Emergency - Gekko gecko (Tokay) Shrunken Belly

aviara
08-13-2012, 11:31 PM
I purchased a wild-caught tokay gecko two days ago. She is a female, and had not previously been dewormed. I took her to the veterinarian today and she was given a dose of Panacur. This vet specializes in reptiles and is very experienced with the species, however the veterinary technician did not understand the tokay personality at all. When my little gecko darted out of the holding crate, the vet tech grabbed her around the back legs, hard, and then got ahold of her roughly and took her off to weigh her. So possibility for injury, but I don't think so. She's not full-grown by far, and she's being kept in a 10 gallon for a one-month quarantine. She will be moved into a semi-permanent 20 gallon enclosure after that. Right now, she has a red-light heat bulb on 24/7 providing a heat gradient from 95F in her basking spot to 75F in the coldest sections of the tank. Humidity is high enough to be ideal. She has a climbing branch and a cork tube which she uses to hide in during the day. A water bowl is provided, as well as water droplets on the side of the tank. The substrate is paper towels, as is always the case when I keep an animal in quarantine.

THE QUESTION: Tonight I walked into my room to find her stomach looking oddly shriveled. It has never looked like this before. What could be cause? Is this just an odd posture causing her to look shriveled, dehydration, parasites, illness, or something else?

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u460/aviaramorgan/Reptiles/Gekko/IMG_1175.jpg

billewicz
08-14-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm wondering, did the vet run a fecal exam or at least visually look at a fresh set of droppings?

Panicur is good for most worms, but does not address Amoebiasis/single celled/flagellants that can be typical in fresh imports.

Most imports are very dehydrated. A vet could inject fluids (like an IV), to help boost the hydration level fast. Misting several times a day and seeing if your Tokay drinks would help.

Good luck,

Michael

billewicz
08-14-2012, 11:20 PM
As a side note to the Tokay darting out of the holding keeper at the vet. I highly recommend the best little carrier for take lizards to the vet is a collapsible Exo Terra small Explorarium screen bag.

It has a side and top entry way so you can get two hands inside without the Tokay flying out. It's sides are soft enough that you can actually hold the Tokay from the outside while you reach in to get it. Very, very easy way to travel your Tokay to the vet.

aviara
08-15-2012, 12:30 PM
I was using a larger tub I had on hand, but the soft carrier is a great idea! I usually don't purchase wild-caught animals, and I have had good luck with my geckos, so I have not had to take one to the vet before. It was the vet tech who was very rough with him - the vet himself was actually very good with Tokays and had some pointers for me. :)

The vet did not run a fecal exam, if she does not gain weight, starts having diarrhea, or any other signs that we missed some sort of parasite, I will be consulting with him immediately.

I've been misting frequently to keep droplets on the side of the tank, and am also providing a shallow bowl of water. She's eating well so far. I'm hoping she'll overcome this and gain some weight. I wish there were vendors around my area that sold captive bred tokays, but there just isn't enough interest in the species locally.

billewicz
08-15-2012, 01:41 PM
I forgot to mention, since you call her a 'she', please look around the enclosure for eggs glued to any vertical surface. Especially in her hiding places. She might have dropped a pair.

Her stools should be a solid brown, almost cricket sized and a small bit of white with clear looking urates. If her stool are foamy, or smell horrible, get the fecal done.

You should have received 1 or 2 more oral doses of Panacur to be administered at two week intervals. The same will be true for the Flagyl if needed. The first dose may kill the adult worms but will not kill the eggs so the meds need to be run through at least one cycle of the parasite.

As for your captive bred Tokay, there are only a handful of breeders nationwide and you can find most of them right here on GU.

You may find a captive hatched Tokay at a show that came from eggs laid by a gravid import, but they are not that common either.

You can run a "wanted" listing here in the classifieds and we can send you offers to match what you are looking for.

Good luck with your girl and all the best,

Michael's Tokay Hoard @ www.billewicz.com