PDA

View Full Version : tokay on bottom of cage, worrisome or no?

schnipke
10-28-2012, 01:47 AM
I don't know if this is anything to worry about or not. But I got Frankenstein on October 16th. Since then, he has typically hung out on the walls or vertical surfaces near the top of the cage. Yesterday and today I have only seen him on the floor or on the plant pots. Then again, I am gone 8 hours a day for work.

Info: The temp gradient is 78-86 approx with a 92-95 basking spot. Humidity stays above 75. I checked his temp throughout the day, this morning it was 84 and this evening it was 93. Eating 2-4 superworms a day and his poops look normal. He stays in my bedroom, which has very little stress- I only go in there to sleep.

Maybe he's just looking for a hiding spot? OH. His color was really light until I peeped in there to take pics. I know my presence seems to stress him. So I have not handled him since I put him in his new home.

Here's him now, unless I'm doing this wrong.
And here's him the after the first few days.

schnipke
10-28-2012, 02:08 AM
We live in Ohio, I'm not sure if he could somehow sense the coming hurricane or not?

Riverside Reptiles
10-28-2012, 10:50 AM
It's not normal for them to hang out on the floor of the cage. He may well be looking for somewhere to hide though if you have not provided vertical hides for him. They're very important to making a tokay feel secure. See previous posts for lots of various ideas for vertical hides. If he continues to stay on the ground, there may be a need to be concerned.

Riverside Reptiles
10-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Here's a link to what I do with my PVC tubes: http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/do-yourself-diy/53388-diy-quick-easy-pvc-tubes.html

schnipke
10-28-2012, 11:14 AM
You know, I think we have some extra PVC tubes at work.There's an Ace Hardware store right down the road, too, I'll pick some up. I do not own any type of saw, though.

He has a hide that I stuck to the wall of the cage, and I have never seen him inside of it. Only on top of it.

Edit: I thought I should mention that he was on the wall when I woke up this morning. He took a pretty large poop overnight. (:

billewicz
10-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Hello,

More vertical hides should work. I've not seen a commercial hide designed for ground lizards that will work for a Tokay. They need vertical space between two layers of bark, slate, tile, PVC, something they can get in and out of from a wall.

I lean a vertical piece of slate up against the side of the enclosure and then lean a slab of cork bark and inch off of that to create a 'nesting' area and safe house.

If he is still on the bottom after getting his new hides, then there is something else wrong. Let us know, thanks.

Michael's Tokay Hoard @ www.billewicz.com

schnipke
10-30-2012, 02:15 AM
Thanks Ethan and Michael both (: I'll let you know in a couple days how he likes the hides, gotta finish them up and put them in tomorrow. He's no longer staying on the bottom of the tank. Around Christmas, I intend on switching him to an actual vertical reptile cage that I can fill with dirt & create a living viv with lots more plants & hides, not just a 20gal flipped upwards. Do you have suggestions what tank may work best? Are Exo-Terras okay?

billewicz
10-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Yeah, the Exo-Terra 24" tall is good for most Tokay pairs, for a while. Some Tokay will grow over 12" long making a 24" tall a bit cramped once they reach that size.

The Exo-Terra High Glass Terrarium - Size: Medium Extra Tall (36" H x 24" W x 18" D) is better, but at the $350ish price point, you could get a really nice custom glass enclosure for less.

Look at Protean Terrarium Design (http://customglassterrariums.com/) as one option.

Riverside Reptiles
10-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Yeah, the Exo-Terra 24" tall is good for most Tokay pairs, for a while. Some Tokay will grow over 12" long making a 24" tall a bit cramped once they reach that size.

The Exo-Terra High Glass Terrarium - Size: Medium Extra Tall (36" H x 24" W x 18" D) is better, but at the $350ish price point, you could get a really nice custom glass enclosure for less.

Look at Protean Terrarium Design (http://customglassterrariums.com/) as one option.

Protean will no longer be doing retail custom enclosures. They're going all wholesale.

billewicz
10-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Sorry, I guess I never see that as an issue since I buy a pallet of enclosures at a time. Last I saw, he was still working shows, but I have not spoke to him in a while about that.