PDA

View Full Version : tokay eggs!!!

new_to_tokays
11-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Ok so finally got the tokay eggs. What do I do? Leave the temp the same? Warmer or cooler? Mist more or less often? And just transferred the tank outside recently. I live in so cal. So weather is not that bad now.

Marauderhex
11-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Just leave them where they are.

Riverside Reptiles
11-03-2012, 12:23 PM
You shouldn't have to do anything to them. Leave them in situ.

Focal
11-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Congrats!! I love eggs of all kinds :D

Riverside Reptiles
11-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Congrats!! I love eggs of all kinds :D

I like mine scrambled

Noobske
11-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Just leave them in the tank, keep it the way you normally would. It should hatch between 60 to 200 days. Got 7 Tokay eggs here aswell, they're between 80-100 days old but nothing as of yet. With temps of like 28 degrees celcius, you should get more females, 29/30 should yield more males. Also, don't turn the eggs too much the animal inside the egg could drown.

Riverside Reptiles
11-06-2012, 05:11 PM
With temps of like 28 degrees celcius, you should get more females, 29/30 should yield more males. Also, don't turn the eggs too much the animal inside the egg could drown.

I've not seen any solid evidence of tokays being TSD. And I've not heard of anyone that has either. Have you proven this out? I'm not trying to say that it isn't true. I'm simply curious as to the extent of research gone into it. I tend to get pretty much a 50/50% ratio of males and females.

Noobske
11-06-2012, 05:51 PM
It's not something I have proven as of yet, but that's what I hear in my surroundings. At the moment I'm letting eggs in the same tank as the parents to see if my Tokay's will defend their young or straight out eat them. In the future I will definitely try this out though.

tombo46
11-08-2012, 12:42 PM
It's not something I have proven as of yet, but that's what I hear in my surroundings. At the moment I'm letting eggs in the same tank as the parents to see if my Tokay's will defend their young or straight out eat them. In the future I will definitely try this out though.

I am yet to have any hatchlings eaten by parents. I had 12 pairs produce young this year with absolutely no problems : )

Riverside Reptiles
11-08-2012, 03:42 PM
It's been pretty well proven at this point that tokay parents care for their young. There may be an odd case of them eating their young here and there, but for them most part all the breeders that I know of (including myself) have had positive results with leaving the babies in the enclosure with the adults.

TSD in tokays on the other hand, I have yet to see proven with any consistency.

billewicz
11-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I've not had any success in temp controlled sex of hatchlings. And I'm pretty sure I've never lost a hatchling to their own parents.