View Full Version : glow in the dark mushrooms

11-26-2012, 06:19 PM
hi everyone does anyone no if glow in the dark mushrooms(Panellus stipticus) are safe to put in my tokay enclosure ? I read an read can't fined a real answer thanks

11-26-2012, 07:56 PM
These are mushrooms found in caves, right? I doubt the proper conditions are there to make either the tokays or the mushrooms thrive together, particularly in terms of light intensity and temperature ;)

11-27-2012, 04:18 AM
thanks for your thoughts idk about the caves tho the kit suggests a log to grow them on mushrooms grow anywhere i just need to no if they are toxic or if will hurt my tokay thanks

11-27-2012, 07:48 AM
There's nothing in the reading I've done on them to suggest that they would be harmful to your tokay. They do not grow in caves, but instead grow on fallen deciduous trees in forests, so they and the tokay could both thrive in a similar environment.

Riverside Reptiles
11-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Panellus stipticus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panellus_stipticus)

It doesn't appear as if they're toxic to humans. They would likely be relatively safe to have in a large gecko enclosure. I doubt that a tokay would ingest them on purpose. although, it could happen if a feeder insect happened to be sitting on a mushroom when a tokay dive bombed it for food.

11-27-2012, 11:42 AM
I have talked to some people who've used them in their dart frog or crested gecko enclosures, and the biggest issues they found are that they just don't grow well. If the conditions for the mushrooms are even slightly off from what's required, they don't thrive. I'm not sure how it would be with Tokays, but the conditions in which crested geckos and dart frogs are kept are not very amenable to mushroom growth, so the general consensus for those two species is that the mushrooms are a waste of time and money. If you do want to try the mushrooms, I would advise that you read up on their care very well to see if they will work in your Tokay's enclosure.

12-02-2012, 04:51 PM
thanks for the help guy decided not to pick some up tho just out of fear an accidental eating could occur just upgraded to a 120 gallon tall enclosure for my tokays cant wait to put sum pics up soon