PDA

View Full Version : TOKAY gecko help....

maggpie
12-04-2012, 07:15 PM
hello!

so this is where i have ended up and i don't even know if I'm in the correct spot.

i just recently ( yesterday) rescued a tokay from certain death. she was at a pet shop and i saw her a few weeks ago, just peeked in, and couldn't get her off my mind. well i was back to said pet shop yesterday and to my surprise she was still there, so when i looked in i saw her curled up in the back, and skeleton skinny and severely dehydrated, well i have enough tanks and random materials around and a soft spot in my heart for animals in need. so i asked the gentleman at the counter to get her for me before i flipped my lid. He was too scared to take her out (i guess she has bitten before) so he asked me to. when i started taking things out of the tank to get to her i found a dead shriveled up tank mate, also a tokay. wellllllllllllllll needless to say the guy didn't even know there were two in there to begin with. he was upset, i was upset and now she is at home in a quarantine tank.

my questions are these. how do i nurse her back to health. her eyes are clear, her nose and vent are all clear as well. i have her in small 5 gallon right now she is still small maybe as long as my hand excluding her tail... with paper towel linning the bottom. i have a log and a few branches of fake plants as well as water dish. I'm trying to keep the humidity up and mist her to help re-hydrate her. i tossed in a few meal worms and two crickets for now. i don't want to overwhelm her.. HOWEVER that was last night and she hasn't eaten anything. i do know it make take her a few days to adjust to everything but my concern in how skinny she is, if she has a few days. she is moving around the tank and I'm pretty sure she is seeing the food in there but is not interested at all. i have also put a small dish of crested gecko powdered mush stuff that i feed my CG, but i have read they typically are carnivorous. i have been doing some research on her all night and for a good chunk of the day today. but i know any help from people who have owned these would surely speed things along.

Riverside Reptiles
12-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Wow, it's in horrible shape. The first things you need to do are make sure that her enclosure is very warm and very humid. These guys are from extreme tropical environments. High 80's-90's day and night. Get her well hydrated by misting. Chances are that she won't drink from a bowl. Tokay are not big worm eaters, so I wouldn't bother with the meal worms. Well gutload and dusted crickets and roaches are going to be key to success if you want to save this animal. They are monster feeders once you get them going and will need a lot of food. It's going to take a while for her to acclimate to the new environment. So my suggestion is to leave her alone as much as possible other than several mistings per day. You can pretty much assume that she's loaded with parasites and going to need a visit to the vets within the next couple of weeks IF you can get her turned around. The less stress she has right now the better she'll do. So leave her alone as much as possible. Also these are shy creatures and require a lot of vertical hiding places. Cork bark, PVC tubes, hollow bamboo tubes, plants, etc. Even paper towel tubes if need be. But again, they need to be VERTICAL.

Summery of key things to do asap:
-lot's of vertical hides
-high temps and humidity
-several mistings per day
-gut loaded and dusted crickets/roaches
-ZERO stress.

Once she gets eating on a regular basis, you'll want to get her to a vet for a fecal exam and deworming. In the mean time, I suggest that you take a lot of time reading through the old posts on here as this is a common issue with wild caught "rescued" tokays. There's simply tons of helpful information for you to read through. You'll find tons of threads about acclimating sickly tokays.

maggpie
12-04-2012, 08:13 PM
thanks. yes i will be taking her to a vet, there is one close to my house. i just want to wait till i get a fecal sample for them to test. is there any way to entice her to eat, other then just leaving her alone. I'm sure she is stressed, has been hanging out at the top of the tank all day. I'm going to get some more foliage for her to hide in this evening. i have her in a small tank so its staying warm and humid. its a aquarium cover not a screen lid so its keeping it nice and warm in there.

the guy at the shop called the person who is supposed to take care of those animals and he said he hasn't been able to get her to eat. ( he is newer the old guy quit thank god.. which is who brought all these critters in in the first place. doesn't make it any better of a story but at least the newer guy was trying i guess.. still doesn't explain the tank mate. but i wonder since they were in like a 3 gallon enclosure if the were just stressing each other out, since they are solitary?? or so I've read.

drillman
12-04-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm surprised that she is still alive. She probably has parasites which is making her condition worst. You will have to get her to eat in order to get a fecal sample to take to a vet. It can take up to a week for a Tokay to eat on there own after moving to a new home. In her condition I'm not sure if she will ever eat on her own. First thing give her a place for her to hide and to feel secure. Keep the temp ( 88-90 degree F) and humidity up. Give her peace and quiet without bothering her. Try using a small soft paint brush dipped in water and offering it to her by putting it up to the tip of her nose. She should lick it. Some people say to use Pedialyte mixed with chicken baby food. I've never been able to get a Tokay to take this. You would first need to get her hydrated first and then if she doesn't eat try holding her. When she opens her mouth, stick a cricket in her mouth. When they get something into they should eat. In that malnourished and dehydrated condition she may only be able to eat one cricket at a time.
Holding, force feeding and giving her meds from the vet will cause her stress. If you don't get her to eat and treat the parasites she will die. The pet store should of given her to you for free when she was in that condition. There are a lot of people on this website that have a lot more experience than me. Good luck.

billewicz
12-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Hello,

First, I appreciate your love and concern for this poor little fella. Sadly, he maybe too far gone. He will not eat at this point without help.

You have two paths to consider. Path one is the passive directions previously outlined by others in this thread.

Path two is basically aggressive '911 emergency life support'. A vet can administer vital hydration subcutaneously. (Fluids via a shot).

This animal will not give you a fecal but the vet might be able to coax enough out to smear a slide. Typically Panacur and Flagyl will be administered orally.

The vet may have Oxbow Carnivore Care to force feed him.

All of this is done as fast and aggressively as possible. He's out of time here. This means you will be handling him every other day for a while.

This goes against the conventional reasoning to leave him alone and not stress him. It's way too late. Your trying to save a life in a last ditch effort. Stress is secondary here. If you've ever had to go to the emergency room, it's frickin' stressful. But emergency action is what saves the life, followed by lots of rest.

Now, here's the hard call. He's probable not going to make it another couple of days. Plan "A" has a 5% chance of changing his condition for the better. Plan "B" may only have a 25% chance at this point.

So the question is, is the $145 vet bill worth it for such a limited percentage of success?

If he's still able to climb the glass and he barks and gapes his mouth open at you and tries to bite you, than he still has the spunk, fight and the will to live.

If you pick the vet route, the sooner, the better.

Good luck,

Michael's Tokay Hoard @ www.billewicz.com

maggpie
12-05-2012, 11:22 AM
2 crickets "disapeared" from the tank last night.... I'm hoping she ate them and they didn't just escape.. although i can't figure out how they would have gotten out but crickets are sneaky......

billewicz
12-05-2012, 11:34 AM
:yahoo:That' great! Good luck!

Riverside Reptiles
12-05-2012, 12:37 PM
That's good news. Now, if you can just get him to start doing that every day! Sometimes, proper heat and humidity along with hydration is exactly what they need to stimulate their appetite. If you can get him eating, he might stand a chance.

maggpie
12-06-2012, 04:46 PM
so... jorani ( which is what I've named my new friend) is still hanging in there. she seems more active an has been crawling around a bit more since last night and today. she did urinate, but no stool yet. she still won't eat any more crickets. but she was sitting in the gecko mush food bowl earlier. (that was an update from my mother while i was at work), as far as trying to " force feed" her she just won't open her mouth i even tried picking her up ( which she didn't seem to care about) and nope nothing.... are there any tricks i can do to get her to open her mouth? i know she can i seen her lick the wall.:?

drillman
12-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Usually when you pick up a Tokay it will open it's mouth. Even if they are calmly sitting in your hand they will open their mouths. If she doesn't then she is too weak/sick to do so. Try opening your mouth and see if you get a reaction. Some people say that if you rub your finger on the side of a leopard gecko's lips it will open it's mouth. There is video on this site under the video section of this. If she does open her mouth place a cricket in her mouth until she bites down on it. A gecko in her condition may only be able to eat one cricket. Also try the paint brush with water to at least to get her hydrated. You can try misting her with a spray bottle. Try warming the water first before misting her. You will get a better reaction with the warm water than the room temp water. Lightly spray head and see if she starts to lick it.

Elizabeth Freer
12-07-2012, 07:58 AM
http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/gecko-videos/66730-gentle-way-coax-geckos-mouth-open.html

maggpie
12-07-2012, 10:38 PM
:sad:
I'm sad to report my sweet little angel has gone to heaven.

this morning i went up to her tank and she actually acknowledged me and licked her lips and i was able to get her to eat a cricket. it still breaks my heart but i know at least the last few days of her life she was under the best care of her life, appreciated and loved. she passed away this afternoon. :sad:

billewicz
12-07-2012, 11:26 PM
:cry:I'm sorry we had no magic for her this late in the game.

I too lost a very special Tokay today as well. Three years ago I acquired 14 high-end Tokay morphs from a reptile store outta NJ. They had collected these originally as an investment.

Once they decided to get out about two years later, I purchased them. Of the rarities were 6 Calico/pied type with 'snake eyes'.

Once I got them I noticed immediately that they would not climb anything. They just sat on the bottom and never moved. They would not eat live crickets or roaches either. Their stools were a god-awful green mush.:roll:

I eventually got a hold of the person who actually cared for these guys. They had been kept in small shoebox racks like any ground gecko and fed canned monitor food.:scratchhead:

None of them ever bred and only a couple learned to go vertical. One by one they festered and passed. It was sad to think that a 'professional' group who worked with hundreds of reptiles a month had no clue how to keep Tokay.:angry::paddle::-x

The last Snake Eyed girl passed today without any prodigy to carry her genes on.:cry::cry::cry:

maggpie
12-07-2012, 11:35 PM
maybe our girls will meet and play together in gecko heaven. :idea:

Elizabeth Freer
12-08-2012, 06:55 AM
:sad:
I'm sad to report my sweet little angel has gone to heaven.

this morning i went up to her tank and she actually acknowledged me and licked her lips and i was able to get her to eat a cricket. it still breaks my heart but i know at least the last few days of her life she was under the best care of her life, appreciated and loved. she passed away this afternoon. :sad:

Very sorry to hear of Jorani's passing :(, maggpie. Hope she will now have access to much fresh water and many crickets...as much as she needs. We do get so attached to our little friends.

Elizabeth Freer
12-08-2012, 07:07 AM
:cry:I'm sorry we had no magic for her this late in the game.

I too lost a very special Tokay today as well. Three years ago I acquired 14 high-end Tokay morphs from a reptile store outta NJ. They had collected these originally as an investment.

Once they decided to get out about two years later, I purchased them. Of the rarities were 6 Calico/pied type with 'snake eyes'.

Once I got them I noticed immediately that they would not climb anything. They just sat on the bottom and never moved. They would not eat live crickets or roaches either. Their stools were a god-awful green mush.:roll:

I eventually got a hold of the person who actually cared for these guys. They had been kept in small shoebox racks like any ground gecko and fed canned monitor food.:scratchhead:

None of them ever bred and only a couple learned to go vertical. One by one they festered and passed. It was sad to think that a 'professional' group who worked with hundreds of reptiles a month had no clue how to keep Tokay.:angry::paddle::-x

The last Snake Eyed girl passed today without any prodigy to carry her genes on.:cry::cry::cry:

Sorry to hear about the last of your 6 snake-eyes, Michael.

What you share above is one sad tale of their care before you got them. Seems like your good husbandry was too late for them as well.

billewicz
12-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Their spirit was truly broken after spending years in little plastic shoe boxes. Tokay can't stick to most plastic used in boxes so they just slide down.

They lost their desire to chase live food too. At first I thought they would turn around. And to some degree they did but not enough to fully recover to the normal state of a healthy Tokay.

Elizabeth Freer
12-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Their spirit was truly broken after spending years in little plastic shoe boxes. Tokay can't stick to most plastic used in boxes so they just slide down.

They lost their desire to chase live food too. At first I thought they would turn around. And to some degree they did but not enough to fully recover to the normal state of a healthy Tokay.

:( So very sad, Michael. A real tragedy. You've got a big heart. Hate to think about any geckos who spend much/most of their abbreviated lives in small plastic shoeboxes.

billewicz
12-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Yeah, given the lack of good info, I've tried to answer as many forum questions as possible without getting too burnt out.

Elizabeth Freer
12-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Yeah, given the lack of good info, I've tried to answer as many forum questions as possible without getting too burnt out.

We try to do what we can, and sometimes as we see, the damage is irreversible.

Were those 14 your first tokays?

Riverside Reptiles
12-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Sorry for your loss. I think you were fighting a losing battle from the get-go though. You did what you could. If you decide to go with another tokay in the future, obviously I'd suggest going for a captive bred animal. Rescuing sickly reptiles from a store encourages the store to continue their poor reptile husbandry as well as often ends in tragedy despite the best of intentions.

billewicz
12-08-2012, 06:26 PM
I purchased three groups at about the same time, but they were apart of the first group.

XoVictoryXo
12-30-2012, 03:46 PM
So heartbreaking :***( so sorry for your loss. Thank you for trying. God I hate pet stores!!!! :(