PDA

View Full Version : What the!?

tombo46
12-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Found this absolutely ridiculous website trying to flog a "book" about the "secrets" of keeping tokay geckos...

Tokay Gecko Lizard Care Information (http://Tokaygeckoguide.com/)

It's full of all sorts of silly statistics and is trying far too hard to sell itself.

I think if I was writing a book about Tokays, the cover definitely wouldn't show a horizontal tokay on wire mesh...

Marauderhex
12-05-2012, 05:14 PM
I think I'll just stick to this site, since the info in that book was probably outdated the minute it was published.

cassicat4
12-05-2012, 05:26 PM
I've seen several of those sites for Leopard Geckos. I'm wondering if it's the same company?
I think they're counting on fear tactics to sell the book. Sadly, it will work on some.

thorrshamri
12-05-2012, 06:03 PM
How to save $19 for Xmas...:evil::biggrin:

Riverside Reptiles
12-05-2012, 09:36 PM
I've seen these too. It's not even a real book...it's an "e-book". Probably just a care sheet in PDF file format that you can download. I definitely DON'T recommend spending your money on that to ANYONE. The people that post on this have provided far better, more up to date, and more accurate information for free right here on GU.

PS if you REALLY feel the need to spend the $19 for the info, PM me and I'll give ya my paypal address!!! lol ;)

billewicz
12-05-2012, 11:21 PM
I've seen these too. It's not even a real book...it's an "e-book". Probably just a care sheet in PDF file format that you can download. I definitely DON'T recommend spending your money on that to ANYONE. The people that post on this have provided far better, more up to date, and more accurate information for free right here on GU.

PS if you REALLY feel the need to spend the $19 for the info, PM me and I'll give ya my paypal address!!! lol ;)

:yahoo:How's 'bout I just send you a Tokay for Christmas? :rofl:

OK, so I took one for the team and dropped the $19 just to see what how much misinformation is in this publication. Also, I've been asked more than once to compile a Tokay 'book' at some point, so I really wanted to see what she has to offer.

I just skimmed through quickly and this excerpt caught my attention: "...the female Tokay will become pregnant and it will start digging in the substrate to look for a better place to lay her eggs. You have to keep an eye to the female Tokay and observe where she will lay her eggs."

I've seen this written once before in a crappy care sheet. My question to the Tokay breeders out there, has anybody ever had their Tokay lay clutch after clutch buried in the substrate?

As Ethan said, probably outdated info. To that I noticed a handful of older reptile books listed in her reference bibliography which might explain this little nugget of "The Secrets of Breeding Tokay!":coverlaugh::blushing::yikes:

Riverside Reptiles
12-06-2012, 12:58 AM
:yikes:Haha! I can't believe that you actually forked over the money for that!!!:crackup:
Does it at least have any useful content? You and I should write an e-book!!!

billewicz
12-06-2012, 01:06 AM
:yikes:Haha! I can't believe that you actually forked over the money for that!!!:crackup:

Yeah, I know but I wanted to see if this was a viable tool to recommend. So far, I'm 10 pages into it and I've highlighted a dozen statements I would take issue with.

One was that she recommends that if you can't take care of your Tokay, you should release it into the wild. (She lives in TX where they have already been established, but this type of coaching is exactly the kind of thinking that has states like VA looking to ban reptiles because of the fear of someone running into these 'exotic and dangerous animals'!!!

Hey, has anyone ever heard a Tokay hiss? She says they will hiss at you just before they bite. Really????:feedback:

Marauderhex
12-06-2012, 06:23 AM
As far as hissing, mine will gape and exhale loudly if he doesn't want to be handled, or if startled. I don't know if that counts as a hiss or not.

billewicz
12-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Some will 'bark' especially big males, but not 'hiss'. My monitors hiss!

Marauderhex
12-06-2012, 08:20 AM
I get the bark from him right before he bites (or as his jaws are flying toward their destination), this 'huffing' for lack of a better term is more like when he's irritated, but not pissed off enough to bite me.

bawner00
12-06-2012, 10:33 AM

You Really Should!!!!

MauricesExoticPets
12-15-2012, 08:36 PM
... My monitors hiss!

By that point you have worn out your welcome, and you know it's time to let them be.

As far as Gekko white-lined geckos will do a pftttt pftttt kind of thing but a deep exhale hiss, I'm not sure they have the volume in their lungs to even produce a true hiss.

I've not been bitten by any of my tokay, I try not to provoke such things, yet I have never heard them hiss.

Maurice Pudlo

reptilenut
12-21-2012, 04:45 PM
:yahoo:How's 'bout I just send you a Tokay for Christmas? :rofl:

OK, so I took one for the team and dropped the $19 just to see what how much misinformation is in this publication. Also, I've been asked more than once to compile a Tokay 'book' at some point, so I really wanted to see what she has to offer.

If you have not, the book is sold through Clickbank, and you can usually get a refund if the allowed amount of time has not passed. Clickbank works as an affiliate marketing site. I know they do have a very liberal return process since most of the ebooks etc.. sold through them are crap.

I can't post the link but here is some info on the refund process: Found this link for you: clickbank.com/refund_policy_faq.html