PDA

View Full Version : Moving with White-Lined Gecko eggs

Pogaf
12-20-2012, 11:48 PM
After 8 months of my one female being with my male, she finally decided to lay me some eggs... two weeks before I move. This is my first Gekko clutch; I've dealt with Crested Gecko eggs before, but never ones that cannot be removed from the glass.

I'm about to begin a cross-country journey that will take me from Central New York to North Carolina for a few weeks and then over to Arizona. I had planned on putting all the geckos in travel containers and stuffing their cages with things, but obviously I can't mess with this cage. I've had the suggestion of placing a container with some moss/hatching material in it over the eggs to hold in humidity and offer some protection, but I am worried about vehicle vibrations and temperature fluctuation. When traveling I leave my van running at all times to maintain the temperature for the animals, but it will still change when they are moved for the night, etc.

I'm in the look for any other suggestions on protecting the eggs or guidance on helping them make the trip. I'm excited one of my girls finally decided to lay, but I think I need to have a talk with her about timing!

Riverside Reptiles
12-21-2012, 10:31 AM
That's a tough situation. I wouldn't worry so much about the heat. The eggs are pretty tough and I've had eggs get fairly cool in temps and still hatch. I'd empty the enclosure and just leave the eggs glued where they are and hope for the best I think. You could tape a little dixie cup or something over it to try to protect it, but I'd be afraid it might just fall off and end up causing damage instead of helping.

Pogaf
12-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the input! I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and see how they do. Knowing my female laid one clutch makes me feel better; they'll certainly be more to come! But that doesn't make me not want to keep this one safe!