PDA

View Full Version : need advice on heat pad size

sonic322
12-27-2012, 11:10 AM
ive recently bought a 30x35cm 45cm tall vivarium and i was advised by the guy at the store to get the extra small exo terra heat pad which is 4x5" and was wondering if this was big enough for the case that i have or should i get a bigger one? i will be getting either a thick tailed gecko or a marbled velvet gecko. i appreciate any feedback thanks

Aimless
12-27-2012, 02:05 PM
where are you going to place the heat pad?
what is the wattage? no matter the size, a 6W mat will put out less heat than a 12W mat, right?

sonic322
12-27-2012, 09:54 PM
where are you going to place the heat pad?
what is the wattage? no matter the size, a 6W mat will put out less heat than a 12W mat, right?

Under the tank on the left side and it says its a 4 watt mat

MauricesExoticPets
12-27-2012, 11:46 PM
You can make a cage out of heat tape, as long as you regulate the power going to it it will not over heat.

That being said, all heating elements should be regulated to prevent overtemperature situations.

General advice says to cover 1/3 of the surface which allows a temperature gradient.

More advanced uses of heat tape allow it to be installed in any area, I use 11" flexwatt to heat 20xt vertical conversions and I place it on top of the glass because I have a deep substrate and do not use basking lights in these enclosures.

Many factors are involved, is the room heated where the vivarium is located? How deep is the substrate? Will you be using any other heating method?

Maurice Pudlo

sonic322
12-28-2012, 12:13 AM
You can make a cage out of heat tape, as long as you regulate the power going to it it will not over heat.

That being said, all heating elements should be regulated to prevent overtemperature situations.

General advice says to cover 1/3 of the surface which allows a temperature gradient.

More advanced uses of heat tape allow it to be installed in any area, I use 11" flexwatt to heat 20xt vertical conversions and I place it on top of the glass because I have a deep substrate and do not use basking lights in these enclosures.

Many factors are involved, is the room heated where the vivarium is located? How deep is the substrate? Will you be using any other heating method?

Maurice Pudlo

there is no heating whre the vivarrium is located, the substrate is about 5-6cm and no there will not be another heating method

MauricesExoticPets
12-28-2012, 11:19 AM
I would think your going to have to follow the 1/3 rule, use a dimmer or low cost thermostat to keep the temps in check in the warmer seasons and try to locate the enclosure away from places where there are drafts and widely changing temperatures.

If you have issues maintaining temperatures have a section of glass cut to cover most of the enclosure top, the remaining area can be covered with a window screen made to fit inside the aquarium lip.

Maurice Pudlo

sonic322
12-28-2012, 11:29 AM
I would think your going to have to follow the 1/3 rule, use a dimmer or low cost thermostat to keep the temps in check in the warmer seasons and try to locate the enclosure away from places where there are drafts and widely changing temperatures.

If you have issues maintaining temperatures have a section of glass cut to cover most of the enclosure top, the remaining area can be covered with a window screen made to fit inside the aquarium lip.

Maurice Pudlo

Yea il probably get the small one which is 10.5 X 11" if i wanna go by the 1/3. Thanks for the advice