PDA

View Full Version : leachie with roommates????

RojasGiantGecko
03-17-2013, 05:33 PM
I have a juvie leachie in a display tank he eats well. But the tank looks boring during the day is it posible to keep other reptiles in their, or maybe some dart or tree frogs????? My tank is 18 by 18 by 24.

Graham_s
03-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Not unless you want them to be devoured by your leachie.
How old/large is your gecko?

RojasGiantGecko
03-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Not unless you want them to be devoured by your leachie.
How old/large is your gecko?

He is about 7" long and 42.grams.

Aimless
03-17-2013, 06:25 PM
I agree. Leachies are sole occupants, except and unless for the purposes of breeding ;)

RojasGiantGecko
03-17-2013, 06:33 PM
I agree. Leachies are sole occupants, except and unless for the purposes of breeding ;)

Do you think he can get sick from eating frogs or anoles?

Aimless
03-17-2013, 06:36 PM
um, YES. many species of anurans secrete various toxins through their skins; both can give your gecko parasites; neither choice is a good "feeder" for a Leachie.

if you want something interesting to observe during the day, get another cage and put some day geckos in it :)

RojasGiantGecko
03-17-2013, 08:41 PM
um, YES. many species of anurans secrete various toxins through their skins; both can give your gecko parasites; neither choice is a good "feeder" for a Leachie.

if you want something interesting to observe during the day, get another cage and put some day geckos in it :)

What about crested geckos in the same change. N if he eats them will it affect him.

Embrace Calamity
03-17-2013, 08:44 PM
What about crested geckos in the same change. N if he eats them will it affect him.I seriously hope you're not trying to figure out another animal to house with your gecko so it can eat it for your amusement. Please tell me you're not. My faith in humanity has been punched in the face enough for today.

~Maggot

RojasGiantGecko
03-17-2013, 08:59 PM
No i havent done that. And probably wont do it. I was just curious.

Embrace Calamity
03-17-2013, 09:01 PM
"Probably"? How comforting.

Seriously, go buy a book.

~Maggot

RojasGiantGecko
03-17-2013, 09:14 PM
I was just reading that giant African millipede does ok with them as they clean up.... Do u know anything about this or is it a no no

Hilde
03-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Quote from Wikipedia:

Archispirostreptus gigas, the giant African millipede, have two main modes of defence if they feel threatened: curling into a tight spiral exposing only the hard exoskeleton, and secretion of an irritating liquid from pores on their body. This liquid can be harmful if introduced into the eyes or mouth.

It generally doesn't harm humans, so they're acceptable as pets if not handled often. Smaller creatures like your leachie will suffer. He'll either see it as food and stress it out trying to grab it, or he might recognize it for what it is and try to get rid of it before it sprays. Either way, the leachie won't win.

Leachianus are pretty far up the food chain, they see most smaller animals as potential food. It's not a good idea to put anything in with a leachie, even a full-time live-in mate can be problematic.

NicKtheGreeK1997
03-18-2013, 04:41 AM
No offense, but if you don't know whether a leachie can be housed with tree frogs-crested geckos or not, you obviously should have started with an easier to keep and less rare gecko, like cresteds. I'm not trying to be mean, but rare and care-requiring animals are not ideal for beginners.

Aimless
03-18-2013, 05:00 PM
in my opinion, Leachies are as easy to care for as cresties, just larger. to my mind, that is not the issue here.

to Rojas - why would you want to put cresties in there? they WILL be eaten by the Leachie, and unless you breed them yourself or go to a reputable breeder, you can assume they can carry disease to your Leachie almost as easily as an anole from a petstore.

I think your Leachie will be healthy and happy if you feed him the appropriate insects / fruit / MRP diets that are available for Leachies.

I'm not understanding why you would want to put anything else in the tank, if you know your Leachie is just going to eat it?

Riverside Reptiles
03-18-2013, 05:33 PM
@ Rojas, your best bet is to not try to house anything with your leachie unless it's meant to be a food item.

@ Maggot, be constructive with your criticism or keep your comments to yourself. I'm not going to continue to warn you about this.

RojasGiantGecko
03-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Thank you all for your replies. Im nost going to add anything in the tank. Illst have to set up another tank for other reptiles.any recommendatios i already have crested, gargoyle geckos.

Aimless
03-18-2013, 07:27 PM
well, if you want something to see during the day, I'd highly recommend any of the Phelsuma or Lygodactylus. they're pretty, bright, and active; most of the readily-available species will have similar care to the geckos you already have with the addition of some UV lighting.

NicKtheGreeK1997
03-19-2013, 08:46 AM
in my opinion, Leachies are as easy to care for as cresties, just larger. to my mind, that is not the issue here.

Maybe I didn't express it right and you misunderstood me. I meant that you don't risk the life of a rare animal like a leachie.

Aimless
03-19-2013, 02:35 PM
ah, I see what you're saying. they are not rare where I live; I didn't realize what you were driving at.