PDA

View Full Version : Lights and heater pad

NickJMoran
04-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Hello all!,

I just recently bought a 40 gallon tank long. Because of my upgrade I went out and bought a heater pad that goes the width of the tank and about 1/3 of the length. also, to regulate temperature, I bought a thermostate with a probe. should I connect the lights to the probe as well as the heater pad? or just the heater pad?

Thanks so much!!

Nick

Elizabeth Freer
04-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Hello all!,

I just recently bought a 40 gallon tank long. Because of my upgrade I went out and bought a heater pad that goes the width of the tank and about 1/3 of the length. also, to regulate temperature, I bought a thermostate with a probe. should I connect the lights to the probe as well as the heater pad? or just the heater pad?

Thanks so much!!

Nick

Excellent upgrade, Nick! What are the actual dimensions and brand of your big UTH?

Is your tank elevated a bit off the stand/shelf in order to provide ventilation for the UTH?

Because the UTH and the overhead light are set for different temperatures, you may wish to have 2 thermostats.

Plug the UTH into the thermostat you have now. Place the thermostat's probe in the warm dry hide and set for temps between 88-93 F. Some other place on the warm end dangle a probe from a digital thermometer 4 inches above the substrate and take that reading. Should be no higher than 85 F.

It is always important to verify your thermostat's setting with another thermometer.

NickJMoran
04-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Very cool! thank you! The UTH is a zoo-med and the size says 30-40 gallon size but no dimensions were given and I did not take them myself before applying it to the bottom of the tank. The tank is raised with the pads that came with it for ventilation. I will put the probe in the hide and ill save up for another thermostat:) great advice! Thank you!

Embrace Calamity
04-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Wouldn't the thermostat turning the light on and off often be a little stressful for the gecko though? Especially if it's one that only fluctuates by 2-3 degrees. That would be my only concern about putting the light on a thermostat.

~Maggot

Elizabeth Freer
04-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Very cool! thank you! The UTH is a zoo-med and the size says 30-40 gallon size but no dimensions were given and I did not take them myself before applying it to the bottom of the tank. The tank is raised with the pads that came with it for ventilation. I will put the probe in the hide and ill save up for another thermostat:) great advice! Thank you!

You might also be interested in getting a ceramic heat emitter to provide air heat, but then you almost need a second dome to house a viewing light.

A rheostat/dimmer on a timer could work to tweak the overhead light/heat.

Does the tank have daylight from a distant window?

The 30-40 galllon size UTH is usually the size I recommend for a 20 gallon LONG. Is your UTH bigger than about 8 inches x 12 inches? You mention a 40 gallon LONG tank?

NickJMoran
04-09-2013, 07:35 AM
I dont believe it is bigger than 8x12. should I get a bigger UTH? the tank does have light from a distant window, but im in the process of relocating it in my room when I can move it more interior. I was also thinking about getting a che but im not quite sure. I am also going to take the lights off of the thermostat that is plugged into my UTH.

Elizabeth Freer
04-09-2013, 06:30 PM
You might also be interested in getting a ceramic heat emitter to provide air heat, but then you almost need a second dome to house a viewing light.

A rheostat/dimmer on a timer could work to tweak the overhead light/heat.

Does the tank have daylight from a distant window?

The 30-40 galllon size UTH is usually the size I recommend for a 20 gallon LONG. Is your UTH bigger than about 8 inches x 12 inches? You mention a 40 gallon LONG tank?

I dont believe it is bigger than 8x12. should I get a bigger UTH? the tank does have light from a distant window, but im in the process of relocating it in my room when I can move it more interior. I was also thinking about getting a che but im not quite sure. I am also going to take the lights off of the thermostat that is plugged into my UTH.

Thing is I don't think that a 8 x 12 inch UTH would be adequate for a 40 gallon tank. That is the size UTH I recommend for a 20 gallon LONG. What dimensions are your new tank?

The Bean Farm is also a source for UTHs, although the type they carry do not have a sticky base to attach to a tank and also do not come with sticky feet.

Distant light from a window is a very good thing! :D That will help your leo with his photoperiod.

You may wish to consider one of those Exo Terra Night-glo Moonlight incandescents just so that you can have the pleasure of viewing your leo in the evening. They come in a wide range of wattages. Suggest keeping the UTH on 24/7, but timing off the overhead lighting/heating at night.

NickJMoran
04-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Okay :D sounds very good! Thank you so much!