PDA

View Full Version : male calling

aktarush
05-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Hello,

i have 2 male tokay geckos living in 2 large enclosures , the younger one has started calling a lot frequently the last few nights.. every hour ! he shares his viv with a young female (ready to mate)they also share the same hide and seem to get along rather fine.. so why would he call for other females? the other enclosure is right next to his , could it be the scent of the large mature tokay female that i keep in, that triggers this relentless calling? or just a territorial warning? i need experts experience , thank you :)

drillman
05-08-2013, 07:41 PM
You really need to keep a young female in a separate enclosure from the male. They will breed way too early or when she is too small. She should an adult or about an a year old. She should also be healthy and have fat reserve. They will start to breed at 6 months of age. If the female is allowed to breed too early she will most likely end of dying. Just look up some past post by member "billewicz" for more details. Make sure you separate her as soon as you can. It's hard when you have more Tokay's than enclosures.

aktarush
05-09-2013, 03:53 AM
You really need to keep a young female in a separate enclosure from the male. They will breed way too early or when she is too small. She should an adult or about an a year old. She should also be healthy and have fat reserve. They will start to breed at 6 months of age. If the female is allowed to breed too early she will most likely end of dying. Just look up some past post by member "billewicz" for more details. Make sure you separate her as soon as you can. It's hard when you have more Tokay's than enclosures.

This is not an answer to what i m asking but thanks all the same. this gecko pair are nearly a year old and capable of breeding without issues. their diet is rich and various with all the required supplement of calcium needed. i believe this is more complicated than the average breeding tutorial .. their is something going on with the male's behaviour.. of all the females i keep , one large older female attracts my tokay males the most .. basically i think they all want to go for her. Tokays have a great sense of smell , so the oddour of this female in particular could have triggered the male's relentless calling because unable to reach her . ( they also shared the same vivarium for 3 weeks in the past)
if someone can give me more serious information about their behaviour and sense of smell maybe?

merci! greetings from france

Riverside Reptiles
05-09-2013, 12:31 PM
He's calling in order to stimulate her into breeding. It's that time of year.

XoVictoryXo
05-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Id love to hear audio or video of a Tokay male calling! does anyone want to make one or link me to one! (sorry off topic but super curious!)

Riverside Reptiles
05-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Id love to hear audio or video of a Tokay male calling! does anyone want to make one or link me to one! (sorry off topic but super curious!)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/91/Mating_call_of_a_male_Tokay_gecko_%28Gekko_gecko%2 9.ogg

aktarush
05-09-2013, 07:22 PM
He's calling in order to stimulate her into breeding. It's that time of year.

Well i knew that but he s calling the neighbour female in the terrarium next to his.. ignoring the young one with him which would be no struggle to mate with. Do female tokays produce a strong scent during the mating season?

Riverside Reptiles
05-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Perhaps the one he's with is not currently ovulating. If she's not even a year old, that's pretty young. I don't breed mine that young generally.