PDA

View Full Version : Golden gecko natural habitat questions

JJenkins
06-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Hi all,

I am about to start construction on a naturalistic terrarium for a pair of golden geckos (G. ulikovskii/badenii). I have been looking for some scientific articles on their habitat in Vietnam, but I haven't been able to find much. I am assuming that their niche is arboreal, on trees and branches in the jungle. If I am mistaken, please let me know.

My basic layout:

1.) Greatstuff background with imbedded cork rounds for hiding spots (will they be able to climb on the cocofiber?)

2.) Some horizontal branches, 2-3" diameter, of sticking out of the background at varying angles.

3.) Various plants imbedded in the substrate and background to enhance hiding spots/ increase climbing areas.

Let me know what you think. Thank you.

ayjay
06-18-2013, 09:14 PM
I have two goldens(1 male and 1 unknown) and that sounds like a good set up to me :) Make sure you have some type of substrate that can hold humidity well( like eco earth) and i always put a fairly large water dish(like the jacuzzi things you can find at petsmart and keep it filled up sometimes with a small heating pad under it for some extra humidity). Oh and incase youre new to goldens, they poop. A LOT. EVERYWHERE. If you have anymore questions just let me know :)

Harshhuntr
08-03-2013, 03:26 AM
My Goldie is in a 33.5 gallon vertically oriented tank with some exo terra vines, lots of plastic plants and some verticals hides. For bedding I've got damp Eco earth with some frog moss in some areas. Your setup sounds pretty good, for ideas on the setup just google Vietnamese rainforest or something similar, remember you want the tank to resemble south-east Asia.